BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pushing on the brakes on and off while the car is barely moving less than 5 mph I feel the front side of car may be the wheels jerk. Releasing the foot off the brake is more pronounced
Is it the brakes or the disk or something else

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Pushing on the brakes on and off while the car is barely moving less than 5 mph I feel the front side of car may be the wheels jerk. Releasing the foot off the brake is more pronounced
Is it the brakes or the disk or something else
Yep, I would go too with bushings. How many miles? Ever did suspension overhaul?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
130k miles and never done any suspension work on the car but the issue seemed to rapidly intensify. Would this worsen if left untouched? Do I understand that the bushings of the control arms needed to be replaced? Do I need to replace both sides

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Yes, the problem will get worse.

You could also replace the arms, though most people will replace the bushings instead.

You should do both sides because even if only one is bad right now, the second one will not be far behind.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
130k miles and never done any suspension work on the car but the issue seemed to rapidly intensify. Would this worsen if left untouched? Do I understand that the bushings of the control arms needed to be replaced? Do I need to replace both sides
You should replace ALL control arms, tie rod assembly, and sway bar links and bushings at that mileage.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
If you DIY, you need a press or a tool to push the old bushings out. I have neither, so I paid more for parts and replaced the entire arms.

·
Registered
759 Posts
If you repace suspension components, an alignment will be required as well.
Some will require an alignment, depending on the vehicle. Control arms / bushings are not likely to impact alignment, unless they've been so badly desiccated that they cause failures in other areas.

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
3,260 Posts
Pushing on the brakes on and off while the car is barely moving less than 5 mph I feel the front side of car may be the wheels jerk. Releasing the foot off the brake is more pronounced; Is it the brakes or the disk or something else
I do NOT understand exactly what you are experiencing when you press and release the brake pedal.

1) Does vehicle "pull" or "self-steer" to one side when brake pedal is pressed, and then to the other side when brake pedal is released?

2) Is there any sound such as a rattle, clunk or impact felt in the steering wheel when the "jerk" occurs?

3) Can you provide a more specific description of what happens when "I feel the front side of car may be the wheels jerk"?

Maybe it's "Just ME", but I don't get the idea from your description in post #1 that there is a suspension issue, and YOU seem to think it has something to do with the Brakes. A faulty/ sticking caliper/ piston will cause pull to one side when brake is applied gently, and then pull to other side when pedal is released. So BEFORE you spend a lot of time and money replacing suspension parts, I would make sure we correctly understand WHAT happens when lightly braking.
George

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Some will require an alignment, depending on the vehicle. Control arms / bushings are not likely to impact alignment, unless they've been so badly desiccated that they cause failures in other areas.
On E90 it will absolutely require alignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you guys for the help
I do NOT understand exactly what you are experiencing when you press and release the brake pedal.

1) Does vehicle "pull" or "self-steer" to one side when brake pedal is pressed, and then to the other side when brake pedal is released?

2) Is there any sound such as a rattle, clunk or impact felt in the steering wheel when the "jerk" occurs?

3) Can you provide a more specific description of what happens when "I feel the front side of car may be the wheels jerk"?

Maybe it's "Just ME", but I don't get the idea from your description in post #1 that there is a suspension issue, and YOU seem to think it has something to do with the Brakes. A faulty/ sticking caliper/ piston will cause pull to one side when brake is applied gently, and then pull to other side when pedal is released. So BEFORE you spend a lot of time and money replacing suspension parts, I would make sure we correctly understand WHAT happens when lightly braking.
George

George
The car does not pull to either side when brake is pressed and very smooth on the freeway.
I reversed the car into my driveway which is about 20 to 25° uphill and I shifted to drive and started to push on brake every a few inches and at this point I can hear clung and the car jerking, more pronounced on the front right. I also turned the steering wheel all the way to the right and tried to brake but The problem was not pronounced and did the same thing to the left and also was not pronounced. The steering wheel does not shake when I’m breaking.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Yeah you don't need "a lot" of expertise to see if thrust bushings. First tell-tale is the leak, see image below. Second, if you grab the arm and twist it by hand and notice that you're able to visibly twist it, it's done.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts