BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
No user ***le
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 08 M3 couple has 26k miles and I was wondering when the brakes should get replaced and also costs. I live in the DC area so can anyone recommend a reputable garage other than the dealer? No problems with the brakes yet but wondered how expensive they are through the dealer?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I can't attest to the accuracy but I have a maintenance cost breakdown sheet I received from a dealer a few months ago when I bought my M (they used it to successfully convince me to buy the 100k maintenance plan) and it shows the M brakes cost ~ $1,520 per axle (that is for brakes and rotors.)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Forgot to mention, on my car you can go into the menus for vehicle settings and check car status for maintenance items. It shows how many miles you have left for front and rear brakes (again, can't attest to the accuracy since I've only put about 4k miles on this car so far.)

·
Make Their Ass Quit!
1,281 Posts
My 08 M3 couple has 26k miles and I was wondering when the brakes should get replaced and also costs. I live in the DC area so can anyone recommend a reputable garage other than the dealer? No problems with the brakes yet but wondered how expensive they are through the dealer?
You cant be anywhere near needing new brakes. Probably not for another 30k miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mechanic

I live in the DC area also and for any German vehicle I can wholeheartedly recommend George's Auto Hospital. George May is the owner and he runs a very good clean shop. He's honest and prices are reasonable. It might be a little out of the way for you in Alexandria as he's in Gaithersburg, but its worth the trip.

·
First Timer
766 Posts
Don't you have another year on the BMW maintenance plan?

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you don't have the maintenance plan left, it is likely you would only need front pads at this time. any shop can do that ( its about a 1 hour DIY project) and the pads should only cost < $ 120 plus labor. You should be able to replace the pads 2-3 times before needing rotors. They can have almost 3 mm worn if of them before they need to be replaced ( assuming no other damage or warpage).

·
First Timer
766 Posts
If you don't have the maintenance plan left, it is likely you would only need front pads at this time. any shop can do that ( its about a 1 hour DIY project) and the pads should only cost < $ 120 plus labor. You should be able to replace the pads 2-3 times before needing rotors. They can have almost 3 mm worn if of them before they need to be replaced ( assuming no other damage or warpage).
It isn't possible that he "doesn't have the maintenance plan left".

It's a 2008, with 26k miles. Neither of those facts allow for the possibility of > 48 months in service, or > 50k miles.

·
First Timer
766 Posts
If tracking, you can burn out the stock pads in 1 day.

race pads last 8- 16 days depending upon the track and/or the type of pads you get.
arter,

Can you please tell us a little about your experience tracking - what cars you've personally taken on a track, your level of training/experience, and what brake pads you've used / liked / hated?

Thanks!

Kurt

·
First Timer
766 Posts
In ANY EVENT, Sleeze still hasn't offered any explanation for why he doesn't just drive to the dealer and offer his M3 for the covered brake service.

·
Registered
17 Posts
[/URL][/IMG]
arter,

Can you please tell us a little about your experience tracking - what cars you've personally taken on a track, your level of training/experience, and what brake pads you've used / liked / hated?

Thanks!

Kurt
I am not an expert, but having fun never the less. bounce between intermediate and the advance group depending upon the format. Did 16 track days this year with my brand new E92 ( well waited 1500 miles first).
You can not use the stock pads on the track as they will fade from over heating ( unless you are a first time beginner). I use pagid yellows ( RS19's) which are expensive but very fade resistant and don't chew up the rotor. They do sound like a UPS truck around town so I switch between the stock pads and the race pads for events. Only takes ~ 45 minutes to switch all four corners. I also run NT-01 R-comp tires ( 275/35/18) all around.

One nice thing about the E9x M3 is that you can fit 4 tires on wheels and gear inside so you can drive to an event and switch tires there. People are amazed how much junk you can fit into our car ( although a trailer would be nice).
Get out and try a track day ( try your local BMW CCA first) or an autocross event ( no prep needed).

·
Registered
426 Posts
I didn't have to do anything to my brakes till 100K miles, and even then the sensor hadn't worn through to tell me I needed replacements. I went ahead and put new rotors, pads and sensors on all four wheels (I did it myself, which is real easy by the way, for about $1500 total.) I also replaced the brake fluid (included in that price, but the only cost is good fluid.) The fluid change is also real easy if you have another person to pump the brake while you vent the calipers. I can't speak to what a dealer or garage would have charged for all of that.

·
First Timer
766 Posts
I didn't have to do anything to my brakes till 100K miles, and even then the sensor hadn't worn through to tell me I needed replacements. I went ahead and put new rotors, pads and sensors on all four wheels (I did it myself, which is real easy by the way, for about $1500 total.) I also replaced the brake fluid (included in that price, but the only cost is good fluid.) The fluid change is also real easy if you have another person to pump the brake while you vent the calipers. I can't speak to what a dealer or garage would have charged for all of that.
You have 100k+ on your M3 already?! Wow!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Bimmer

·
BMWCCA Member #405750
1,450 Posts
I actually have over 130K (Miles, not kilometers) on the she-beast. Other than maintenance and a couple minor cosmetic mods, I haven't had to do anything at all work wise.
:yikes:WOW:yikes:. I may keep this car afterall. Screw the 911.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I can't attest to the accuracy but I have a maintenance cost breakdown sheet I received from a dealer a few months ago when I bought my M (they used it to successfully convince me to buy the 100k maintenance plan) and it shows the M brakes cost ~ $1,520 per axle (that is for brakes and rotors.)
Any chance you want to attach that maintenance cost breakdown sheet here?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.