BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have posted about this before but have more details and could really use some advice if anyone knows...

2011 X3 35i, bought 2 months ago w/67k miles.

Problem: Random pulsing of front passenger brake caliper ( Just confirmed which one)

What's been done so far in an attempt to resolve....What originally felt like a stuck caliper and couldn't be confirmed on which one.

Replaced front passenger caliper/cleaned and lubed everything.as well as replaced both front rotors and pads.

Replaced both rear caliper assemblies, cleaned and lubed., installed new pads

Thought I had resolved it... Today( 1 week after replacement) drove 500 miles to Dallas TX. Along the way at 80+ MPH the problem seems to have revealed itself alot more .. 4 times during the trip, during light breaking and then under resumed cruise control to 80+ the FRONT passenger caliper begins to pulse, which at first blush feels like a warped rotors.... but can't be as they are brand new and the problem is the same as before the replacements....not to mention any other time the car stops perfectly w no vibrations.. Now at highway speeds(had only diagnosed the issue at city speeds prior) it feels more like the ABS is engaging on just that one caliper and pulsing..... A light tap to hard deceleration quickly tends to make it stop and go back to driving normally until it decides to randomly do it again... No real indicator as to when it will start acting up...

The car brakes perfectly when this doesn't happen no vibration or other issues..

THOUGHTS:

Does the X3 have an individual ABS sensor for that wheel, if so where is it located as I did not see it attached to the caliper??

And if it does have a sensor what's the chance it's that??

I'm open to any and all opinions... And honestly could use the help...

Thank you all.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Not sure why you created a new thread for the same problem since the history from your previous thread is lost o_O

There's a speed sensor for each wheel, that's how all ABS work by measuring the speed of each wheel. The sensors are never in the caliber, but in the hub area. I've never seen a bad sensor without it giving a fault. Have you used a proper scanner to check for errors?
Just throwing new brake parts to shotgun a problem is not a good idea since replacing all those brake parts gets expensive, properly diagnose the problem, then only address the failed component(s) :unsure:

·
Registered
844 Posts
And lastly if you don't have an idea what could be causing the issue ...next time feel free to keep your OPINIONS to yourself, asshat
When someone is helping you out, answer their questions, don't call them names, how disrespectful.

Don't come here asking questions, then when someone with experience responds and you don't like their answers, bash them for it.

I provided you valuable information in reference to where the sensors are and diagnosing the problem, I mean you didn't see any speed sensors on the caliper :geek:

Maybe try a better diagnostic tool (i.e. ista+) that can perform brake/sensor/abs tests on the system.

Or, keep on throwing parts at the issue and MAYBE, eventually, after spending many hundreds of dollars, you MIGHT fix your problem.

I'll stay out of all further discussions with you since you don't appreciate when someone is attempted to help straighten out your issue(s).

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When someone is helping you out, answer their questions, don't call them names, how disrespectful.

Don't come here asking questions, then when someone with experience responds and you don't like their answers, bash them for it.

I provided you valuable information in reference to where the sensors are and diagnosing the problem, I mean you didn't see any speed sensors on the caliper :geek:

Maybe try a better diagnostic tool (i.e. ista+) that can perform brake/sensor/abs tests on the system.

Or, keep on throwing parts at the issue and MAYBE, eventually, after spending many hundreds of dollars, you MIGHT fix your problem.

I'll stay out of all further discussions with you since you don't appreciate when someone is attempted to help straighten out your issue(s).
Your response came of as Rude and as an attempt to make it look like I was clueless. But I'm a big guy so I'm willing to admit when maybe I misread your intent. I apologize for my previous response. Thank you for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts