BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be me being too paranoid about me new vehicle. But, I have noticed that when I come to a stop after going about 5-10 mph my brakes squeek (sounds like it is from the front brakes). It doesn't seem to be present when stopping from faster speeds. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I contact the dealer?
TIA.
330i SP, PP, bi-xenon

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
mine squeals as well. didn't someone post on here before that BMW brakes are prone to more noise due to it's design? something about the pads being open and not encased in some shell.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
There's a couple of things you can do.

1) Take it to a dealership.

2) Your brake pads are glazed and it's skidding across the surface of the rotor rather than a smooth application, causing the pad to vibrate against the inside of the calipers. Since the way BMW calipers are designed, they're open ended and floating on one side, they're more prone to producing vibrational noises especially since your pads are glazed, one way to fix it is to apply some anti-squeal compound (they're glue like sustance that hardens to a plasticky consistency) to the back of the pads and they'll be quiet, or

3) Go to a big empty parking lot. Accelerate to ~30 mph and do a couple of mild stops from 30. Then do a couple of HARD stops from 30 w/o triggering ABS. Then do a couple of mild stops from 60 (if you can), and then do a couple of really HARD stops from 60. The pads needs to be properly bedded in, so that SOME pad material gets transfered over to the rotor to ensure the most friction possible without skidding.

·
Registered
538 Posts
jester76 said:
This may be me being too paranoid about me new vehicle. But, I have noticed that when I come to a stop after going about 5-10 mph my brakes squeek (sounds like it is from the front brakes). It doesn't seem to be present when stopping from faster speeds. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I contact the dealer?
TIA.
330i SP, PP, bi-xenon
jestor,
if the squeak sound is slight, that is normal - it happens on mine at low speeds certain times.

btw, what kind of deal did you get on your bimmer?

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
I've been having this squeak since the first change of the pads. (somewhere around 33.000 km) Since that time the brakes are squeaking, especially breaking at lower speeds.

One of the chief mechanics whom I talked to at the dealership told me that using high pressure water on the wheels while washing the car would wash away the anti-squeal paste over the time.

BTW, I have the fifth set pads on the car :eek:

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
BTW, I have the fifth set pads on the car :eek:
You mad man you 'Stealth' :yikes:

Nate, Nick & Stuka would all be very proud of you :p :thumbup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JK330i,

I paid 37940 before taxes. It was about 700 less than a local dealer (I went to Rochester) my car has SP, PP, xenon, and cold weather package. I thought it was a great deal.
The only other thing I am dealing with aside from an occasional noise from my brakes is the issue with snow tires.... very $$$

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
PM 325xiT said:

You mad man you 'Stealth' :yikes:

Nate, Nick & Stuka would all be very proud of you :p :thumbup:
10 x Autobahn + 200 km/h+ = new brake pads :p

Hey, just have the break-in behind me ! :D

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Alex Baumann said:

10 x Autobahn + 200 km/h+ = new brake pads :p

Hey, just have the break-in behind me ! :D
In that case, I'd be glad to take the Alpina off your hands:dunno: :bigpimp:

·
Registered
538 Posts
jester76 said:
JK330i,

I paid 37940 before taxes. It was about 700 less than a local dealer (I went to Rochester) my car has SP, PP, xenon, and cold weather package. I thought it was a great deal.
The only other thing I am dealing with aside from an occasional noise from my brakes is the issue with snow tires.... very $$$
that's strange but hell of a good deal.

when calculated on the bmw website it comes out to be 39k+
I bought mine with only PP,step,and 18's and it came out 40385 :dunno: You killed me with an additional SP, xenon, and weather for a cheaper price... :bawling:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts