BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm currently in the process of purchasing new pads and discs for my 2003 330i. and was looking at several diffrent options for both. I won't track the car just looking for a more responsive\aggresive street package and wanted any feed back I could get on these pads or other recommendations.

Used Autopartswarehouse.com

Pads: EBC Front Brake Pad Set Ultimax - Semi-metallic
Axiss metal master - Semi metallic
Akebono Front Brake Pad Set Euro - Ceramic
HAWK PERFORMANCE HPS SERIES BRAKE PAD - Fero Carbon
HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKE PAD SET - Ceramic

Discs:EBC 3GD SPORT DIMPLED AND SLOTTED BRAKE ROTORS, VENTED, GOLD ZINC,
Brembo Front Brake Disc - OE comparable
Part Number: BR25514Manufacturer Number: 25514
Zimmermann Cross Drilled Front Brake Disc - Cross-drilled
Part Number: W0133-1610366Manufacturer Number: W0133-1610366

any other suggetions would be appreciated thank you in advance for your feedback

·
In my own cars again
1,402 Posts
This could get as bad as the various oil threads we get.....there were three or four "which pads/rotors?" threads just last week. Please search a bit, develop some opinions based on what you find. There are a ton of options, and opinions, for brakes that will make you look cool, or make you stop better, or possibly both.

In any event, with a 330 you've already got better brakes than 97% of the cars on the road, right from the factory.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,334 Posts
Welcome aboard !

There are probably a couple thousand "brake threads" archived here (using the SEARCH function will reveal them). The short story:
Stock (OEM) brakes are pretty much unbeatable, their only downside is that they will dust up more than average. For the "advantage" of less dusting, you usually sacrifice some initial bite, feel, and predictability when using aftermarket pads. That`s about it....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did my own searching (should have done that first) and narrowed it down to the Pagid red Brake Pads and the zimmerman coat-z rotors. I was wondering if anyone knew if the coat-z came in a crossed drilled application and if so post a link to where I can find them.

(I have searched this time)

·
Keeping it surreal
43,334 Posts
I did my own searching (should have done that first) and narrowed it down to the Pagid red Brake Pads and the zimmerman coat-z rotors. I was wondering if anyone knew if the coat-z came in a crossed drilled application and if so post a link to where I can find them.

(I have searched this time)
The general concensus here is that cross-drilled rotors are all about The Bling, but do *nothing* for braking performance (matter of fact, they can introduce some nasty unwanted noises into the mix)
Never heard of Coat-Z drilled rotors....

·
03 330i ZHP - 02 325cic
139 Posts
The latest issue of Roundel has a good article / profile on Stop Tech and their manufacturing operation. Stop Tech sells both slotted and drilled rotors, and they believe that drilled rotors are more succeptible to rotor failure / breakage than slotted rotors, with little or no difference in performance. I'm sure 99% of us Festers would never have a brake rotor shatter on us regardless of design, but this supports FastBob's note "general consensu here is that cross-drilled rotors are all about The Bling".

·
Supporting Member
1,519 Posts
Welcome aboard !

There are probably a couple thousand "brake threads" archived here (using the SEARCH function will reveal them). The short story:
Stock (OEM) brakes are pretty much unbeatable, their only downside is that they will dust up more than average. For the "advantage" of less dusting, you usually sacrifice some initial bite, feel, and predictability when using aftermarket pads. That`s about it....
What he said.

I put Pagid "Reds" on mine, semi-metallic, I'll never, never, never, never never every put ceramics on a gain...they fade.

·
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,192 Posts
Well, I just clicked on the Paypal Pay Now button on AutohausAZ for an order of Zimmermann Coat-Z front and rears, to go with the Pagid Red's I already had waiting. Pad sensor is about a cat's whisker away from meeting the rotor up close and personal, so I hope the package makes it before next weekend so I can save a few bucks there. And yes, I know, most shameful ordering stuff from the Arizona Reichrepublik, but the Memorial Day sale + the 45% discount on international shipping was too irresistible. :(

·
catso
3,163 Posts
Well, I just clicked on the Paypal Pay Now button on AutohausAZ for an order of Zimmermann Coat-Z front and rears, to go with the Pagid Red's I already had waiting. Pad sensor is about a cat's whisker away from meeting the rotor up close and personal, so I hope the package makes it before next weekend so I can save a few bucks there. And yes, I know, most shameful ordering stuff from the Arizona Reichrepublik, but the Memorial Day sale + the 45% discount on international shipping was too irresistible. :(
Thank God we still have good people in Arizona who care about the laws and future of the United States.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Brake Maven
24 Posts
The general concensus here is that cross-drilled rotors are all about The Bling, but do *nothing* for braking performance (matter of fact, they can introduce some nasty unwanted noises into the mix)
Can they generate more noise? Yes. This is heard as a slight groan or whir under braking.

Do they do "nothing" for braking performance? NO. They actually do help with initial bite (lab and track proven). They also help heat up the pad at cooler temperatures (due to the extra leading edges) and with rotor cooling at the higher temperatures (due to increased internal air flow). They are slightly lighter (usually 3/4 to 1 pound each), but weight reduction is a by-product, not the end goal.

Will most people notice the difference? Maybe not, until they need to make a panic stop on the freeway or in the rain!

Bling? I dunno. Either you like the look or you don't. I have excellent cross-drilled rotors on two of my daily drivers -- one I drive pretty hard and the other is just a family cruiser. No problems with either one. Both the over-sized SUV and track day car are fitted with slotted rotors. But really, I'm not concerned about what other people think of the choice or if they can even see them or not! Their opinions are their problem, not mine.

Of course, my response is 100% predicated on using high-quality blanks (most aren't), proper drilling techniques (few do) and radius-chamfering the holes (most use an angled chamfer). For street and high-performance driving, a quality cross-drilled rotor can increase the fun-factor. However, I do not recommend them for hard track use. J-hooks or slotted-only rotors are the best choice for the track.

Consensus or not, plenty of testing has been done. SAE papers have been written. Lab and track testing does provide results that can be repeated. I'll write up a paper when I get some time (hahaha) to help squelch this die-hard Internet rumor.

Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts