BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Brake Pad Question

1517 12
Hello All,

I was about to start my first real DIY job - rear brake pads + rotors, this will be followed by changing the valve cover gasket. Here is the problem I have run into even before starting the job:

I was thinking of getting Akebono pads for the 328i (1997) that I have, however, the Advance auto Parts rep told me that I need to be sure whether the piston clip (I believe it is the three pronged clip on the outer side of the brakepad) has a "high-wide" or "low-wide" center clip as this could make a big difference.

WHat kind of brakepads should I be buying here? :dunno:

I don't want to open up the thing and then try to buy the pads as that would require me to wait for a few days before they can get the order in, ideally, I"d like to just have them hold it for me and I can go ahead and pick them up, and then start the job.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
never heard of this 'high wide'/'low wide' thing...:confused:

i'd see what the akebono site states. afaik, though, the pads are the same for e36 models...:dunno:

df
You have two choices in the Akebono pads and it has nothing to do with the piston clip. You can get either the Euro Ultras or the Premiums. I'd recommend the Euro Ultras. I have them on both my E36 and E46 and they have been great. No noise and no dust.
thought the clip question was sorta random. i would think that even if there *were* a difference in pads, it would be something along the lines of performance package or some such, and also affect things like the rotor and possibly the caliper as well.

have not run akebonos, so i am not familiar with them...:dunno:

df
I think your first mistake is going to Advance Autoparts. I always buy my bmw parts from Pelican Parts or ECS and always get the right part.

A parts guy asking you those questions is not what i would want to hear.
Advance Auto Parts employees are total clowns, just like the guys at Autozone, etc. Just order the pads online. You'll get them cheaper that way, too.
I ended up getting Akebonos for my wife's Sonata. Zimmerman rotors. I really like them, very low dust and stopping has been a big improvement over stock or whatever else was on there.

I am currently running Ate pads with Zimmerman rotors on the BMW as it was part of a package i bought from Pelican Parts.
On my two VWs running Meyle rotors but Mintex pads, ECS brake packages.

Doing disc brakes yourself not only saves you a ton of money, you can select quality products to put on there, and be meticulous to how the caliper slider surfaces are lubricated etc. and everything torqued.

A chain store would be the worst. They just slap any old parts in there.
have not run akebonos, so i am not familiar with them...:dunno:

df
Thank you for your advice all, however, there is still a bit of confusion - for e.g. out of the two listed Akebono pad sets, which would be the correct fit for the 97 328i? Both the pads are ultra-premium ceramics, so why the difference in price?

I think the difference in the clips is seen in these listings from Pelican parts -

For E36 (318i)

and for E36 (328i)

See the difference in center clips? The one for the 328i is pretty big compared to the 318. That is where the Advance Auto guy got stuck. Thank goodness for Pelican parts :)
They do the exact same thing: clip into the inside of the piston. Different design, same function.
^well if that is the case, then they wouldn't be a 'big clip' or 'small clip', but rather a 318i or a 328i...:dunno:

still think the majority of the people behind the register are a buncha clowns, though...

df
what i figured, but if they're listed as different due to 318 vs 328 then it's not necessarily a clip size issue, then is it?? i mean, they both appear to be the same size and shape, so i would figure this would be the case that they're interchangeable.

i've had some that were not, such as early to mid 80's gm and chrysler products...:tsk:

df
They do the exact same thing: clip into the inside of the piston. Different design, same function.
I dunno about 318 vs. 328 size pads, but the 318 vs. 325 were the exact same pad. :dunno:
I still go back to my original statement about Advance Auto. that should have been the first question , do you have a 318 325 or whatever?
I think the difference in the clips is seen in these listings from Pelican parts -

For E36 (318i)

and for E36 (328i)

See the difference in center clips? The one for the 328i is pretty big compared to the 318. That is where the Advance Auto guy got stuck. Thank goodness for Pelican parts :)
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.