BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rear brakes on my 2016 X3 been showing 3k miles left for year on my dash. Getting ready to replace rear pads. Will I need to replace rear brake pad Sensor? Has brake pad sensor already been triggered requiring sensor replacement?
Also does anybody have torque specifications for rotor bracket bolts and guide bolts? Will be replacing rotors also.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Don’t know about the 2016 models, in 2012, the sensors were “ballpark” at best. I was told to always replace the sensor with the brakes (but I’m not a BMW expert).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Rear brakes on my 2016 X3 been showing 3k miles left for year on my dash. Getting ready to replace rear pads. Will I need to replace rear brake pad Sensor? Has brake pad sensor already been triggered requiring sensor replacement?
Also does anybody have torque specifications for rotor bracket bolts and guide bolts? Will be replacing rotors also.
My understanding is the sensor progressively wears away. There are 2 stages of triggering, and once you get the dash warning it has triggered at least one stage and must be replaced. But even if you go early and it hasn't triggered, the sensor is physically much thinner due to wear and will not clip back into the far wider slot once you replace the very worn pads. BMW pads are very thick and if the new sensor clicks in firmly I'm fairly confident the old sensor would fall out immediately.

Also, they're like $8.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not got a dash warning yet. If there are two stages on the 2016 X3 pad sensors, defiantly need to be replaced. I did get brake sensors in my brake kit. I have seen posts where if you do not get a dash warning, you can reuse pad sensors. Maybe older BMWs can reuse the pad sensors if a brake warning has not appeared on the dash.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have not got a dash warning yet. If there are two stages on the 2016 X3 pad sensors, defiantly need to be replaced. I did get brake sensors in my brake kit. I have seen posts where if you do not get a dash warning, you can reuse pad sensors. Maybe older BMWs can reuse the pad sensors if a brake warning has not appeared on the dash.
Yes theoretically you can without a stage 1 warning, but in practice the more left on the pads when you change the better your chance that it stays in. Not changing it may also prevent you resetting the CBS, which would drive me absolutely nuts. Someone forgot to reset my fronts, and that would also devalue your car.

·
Registered
866 Posts
From what I understand, the computer has an algorithm which attempts to calculate the miles left on the pads. From my experience, it's very conservative telling you there are far fewer miles left on them then there actually are, i.e. if it says you have 3k miles you may really have 6-10k miles left. The idea is to visually check the thickness of the pads when the computer starts complaining.

As for the wear sensor, AFAIK, they are not dual stage so if the sensor never touches the rotor, you can reuse it. I've done dozens of pads without changing the sensor and never any problem. The sensor is not expensive, so change it if makes you feel better, but if the old one never tripped, you can reuse it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Everytime I've done brakes the pads came with new sensors. Super easy to install.
From what I understand, the computer has an algorithm which attempts to calculate the miles left on the pads. From my experience, it's very conservative telling you there are far fewer miles left on them than there actually are, i.e. if it says you have 3k miles you may really have 6-10k miles left. The idea is to visually check the thickness of the pads when the computer starts complaining.

As for the wear sensor, AFAIK, they are not dual stage so if the sensor never touches the rotor, you can reuse it. I've done dozens of pads without changing the sensor and never any problem. The sensor is not expensive, so change it if makes you feel better, but if the old one never tripped, you can reuse it.
If the sensor has any wear, will replace sensor.
I am having trouble finding torque specs for pad and rotor change. Does anybody have any torque specs for the brake job?

·
Registered
866 Posts
If the sensor has any wear, will replace sensor.
I am having trouble finding torque specs for pad and rotor change. Does anybody have any torque specs for the brake job?
Here you go. Also if you didn't know, put the brakes in service mode with a scan tool so you don't have to manually wind the calipers back by hand.

Product Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Replaced rear brake pads rotors still good. Replaced brake pad sensor very easy install. Old brake pad sensor looked to have no wear. Used Foxwell NT530 scanner loaded with BMW software for parking Brake. Worked perfectly. Put parking brake in workshop mode. After the brake job was completed took parking brake out of workshop mode.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts