Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My cbs on iDrive tells me front pads are due. Is that a strictly cbs warming or has stage 1 on the sensor actually been reached?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
If CBS is complaining about it, it's actually stage 2.
If pad and sensor replacement happened concurrently, it's going to be time for new pads and sensor soon.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was expecting red lights on the cluster and not a mild easy to ignore yellow message with stage 2.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
If I’m not mistaken it goes like this

Stage 1 is somewhere along the pad material wear. It is silent meaning no warning. It recalibrated mileage on CBS.
Stage 2 is when pad getting close to needing replacement. It’s a yellow warning sign that goes away.
Stage 3 is when you’re past the CBS count. That would be red and I think it’s persistent warning triangle on display.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
621 Posts
Visually check your pads and see how much meat is on them. I think the pads also have a metal clip that makes the brake sequel when it is time to replace.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I think the pads also have a metal clip that makes the brake sequel when it is time to replace.
The OEM ones don't and I've never had a BMW replacement pad from any brand come with such a clip for a BMW. Pagid, ATE, Hawk, Akebono are the brands I can recall installing over the years. The sensor triggered dash message is the only warning mechanism.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I think the pads also have a metal clip that makes the brake sequel when it is time to replace.
The OEM ones don't and I've never had a BMW replacement pad from any brand come with such a clip for a BMW. Pagid, ATE, Hawk, Akebono are the brands I can recall installing over the years. The sensor triggered dash message is the only warning mechanism.
My front ones replaced by the dealer under the maintenance plan had the west indicator. It got annoying so I eventually replaced it before the computer notified me.

My rear ones did not have them, also replaced by BMW under the maintenance plan. Either that or I didn't wait long enough to hear them. The computer was telling me to I had under 600 miles left when I changed the rears.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts