BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Brake Pad Spacer

907 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  cn90
I was changing my pads the other day and noticed that the caliper piston has a spacer that inserts into the piston which then contacts the backing of the brake pad. The caliper and spacer are made by ATE.

After succesfully changing the pads on one side, i took off the pads from the other side to have this spacer break apart into several pieces.

So my question is: Is this part replaceable on its own, and if so ,where can i find it? Is it possible to drive the car without the spacer without causing any damage?

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
No, its on a 2001 525i touring.
front or rear
Because there is what's called an insulating ring on the rear caliper.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DS43&mospid=47594&btnr=34_1161&hg=34&fg=10
Not sure it's the same part you have pictured.
That is exactly what it is. I'm guessing this is something i'd have to get from the dealer?
Probably. Seems like it's model specific. My 530 doesn't have it. And I did the caliper rebuild a few weeks ago.
That is exactly what it is. I'm guessing this is something i'd have to get from the dealer?
I'll replace my pads and rotors this weekend. Hopefully I DON'T have them.

EDIT: Just check RealOEM, they're ONLY on the Tourings :roundel:
Man,

These BMW engineers probably designed the car over German beers and bratwurst LOL.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.