Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I recently took my E90 in for a couple recalls, and I was kindly told that I need new front pads and rotors. They also told me it would be $750, so I'm going to teach myself how to do brakes with the help of a friend, but I have no idea what kind of pads and rotors I want. For pads, people seem to like ceramic, but I don't mind trading some brake dust for better performance. I definitely don't do any track driving, but I do like to drive spirititly on curvy back roads, and sometimes corners can be a little sharper than I expect, so initial bite is important to me. And then for rotors, I have no idea what so ever for what I should be looking for.

Finally, I was told I have 4mm left on my pads, and since I don't have experience with brakes, I know it's low, but is it "needs to have been done yesterday" low, or am I okay for a couple weeks?

Thanks

·
Registered
905 Posts
If you like how your stock brakes work, Pagid pads and rotors.

Ceramic pads need to heat up so if cold, they need a lot of foot to get a good initial bite.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Akebono pads with Zimmerman rotors from FCP Euro. That's what I went with for my BMW and had previous experience this setup with my Benz in the past. Almost zero brake dust and performance was excellent for spirited driving.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,477 Posts
I do like to drive spirititly on curvy back roads, and sometimes corners can be a little sharper than I expect, so initial bite is important to me. And then for rotors, I have no idea what so ever for what I should be looking for.

Finally, I was told I have 4mm left on my pads, and since I don't have experience with brakes, I know it's low, but is it "needs to have been done yesterday" low, or am I okay for a couple weeks?

Thanks
If you have overcooked a corner, one thing you don't need is initial bite. You do need smoothness and a gentle recovery.

4 mm, how long did it take to wear from the initial thickness, a year?

Here is Northport, Door County. The road is curvy just because it can be and, for fun, the speed limit is 55 MPH. Set your cruise control for the speed limit and drive so smoothly that the DSC doesn't kick the CC off. I'll see if I can find a picture of the speed limit sign at Wi-42 and Timberline Road.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have overcooked a corner, one thing you don't need is initial bite. You do need smoothness and a gentle recovery.

4 mm, how long did it take to wear from the initial thickness, a year?

Here is Northport, Door County. The road is curvy just because it can be and, for fun, the speed limit is 55 MPH. Set your cruise control for the speed limit and drive so smoothly that the DSC doesn't kick the CC off. I'll see if I can find a picture of the speed limit sign at Wi-42 and Timberline Road.
I've actually been on that road before (not in my BMW unfortunately). Door County is such a beautiful part of Wisconsin. If it wasn't a 4 hour drive from the La Crosse area, I'd go up there more often! Unfortunately I don't know how long it's taken me to wear down to 4mm as I've only had my E90 since July, so I don't know what I started with. That's the same reason why I don't know what I want, because I don't know what I have haha...

·
Registered
606 Posts
Here's a couple of links you should study before tearing your brakes apart...as I recall (don't use 'em much...:)) they are kind of important and need to work correctly. Reading a car's shop manual keeps you from picking up any bad habits (like reusing one time only bolts) that your "friend" might have.

Pads:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...ls/34-brakes/34-11-front-wheel-brakes/GPdgPL4

Rotors:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...ls/34-brakes/34-11-front-wheel-brakes/GZ0Ixtu

Good luck, hope all goes well...been "wrenching" since JFK was in the White House and have enjoyed every min..well there was a time when a tiny bolt sheared off in the aluminum block of my '67 Alfa GTV..but other than that..FUN and saves a ton of $$$'s that you can use to have more..FUN!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Akebono pads with Zimmerman rotors from FCP Euro. That's what I went with for my BMW and had previous experience this setup with my Benz in the past. Almost zero brake dust and performance was excellent for spirited driving.
+1
Same setup, couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I put earlier this year
Stoptech street pads & Centric Hi carbon rotors from Rockauto for ~$330/ F+R incl shipping, replacing OEM which to my surprise had all pads cracked half through their life - and car was not tracked..
They grab as sharp as OEM, dust same or maybe less than OEM and are holding quite well. Actually I am positively surprised what you get for that money...
Reason I did that is that I put same combo on my X5 couple years ago and very happy with them from perf and low dust point of view.
http://www.stoptech.com/media-cente...stoptech-sport-and-stoptech-street-brake-pads

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
There is always the alternative of using OEM, but specifying pads that go into the LCI model years, which dust far far less than earlier years of BMWs. The LCI pads fit pre-LCI cars...an owner of pre-LCI has reported successful retrofit of the LCI pads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts