Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is average life of the pads and rotors. When my indicator light came on, I went to the dealer and they said I had plenty of pad and reset the computer for another 25000 miles. I have a 35d @nd am at 65000 miles.

·
Happily Driving
6,998 Posts
Do you do all highway driving?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Probably there's no average. Some people really don't step on brakes... not even around fast corners lol... they just wear out the tires instead of brakes! The ones that step on the brakes often (unnecessarily, safe driver, or just way too cautious) .... well i suppose the brakes on these will have a shorter life. The one that releases the gas pedal (no brakes) a mile before a red light will save on gas, tires and brake pads.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Probably there's no average. Some people really don't step on brakes... not even around fast corners lol... they just wear out the tires instead of brakes! The ones that step on the brakes often (unnecessarily, safe driver, or just way too cautious) .... well i suppose the brakes on these will have a shorter life. The one that releases the gas pedal (no brakes) a mile before a red light will save on gas, tires and brake pads.
:rofl: at this "The one that releases the gas pedal (no brakes) a mile before a red light will save on gas, tires and brake pads" Not really if you live in a metro area. People will cut you off or jump immediate in front of you, and then you have to brake aggressively to avoid an accident.

if you're talking about the average, I would say around 50-60k miles This is because BMW does not want to replace all the brakes for cars within the original factory warranty/free maintenance for first 50k miles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do about 60% freeway and 40% local. Fairly conservative driver. I have an extended warranty

·
Registered
751 Posts
What is average life of the pads and rotors. When my indicator light came on, I went to the dealer and they said I had plenty of pad and reset the computer for another 25000 miles. I have a 35d @nd am at 65000 miles.
Just did front pads and rotors right before 60k. There was still some meat on the pads and rotors that came off but they would pulsate when hot like on a long downhill grade. I believe this was the third set of pads.
Brake wear can vary greatly by driving patterns and terrain. 25k pad life was normal for an e70 owner I used to know.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I do about 60% freeway and 40% local. Fairly conservative driver. I have an extended warranty
I also drive approximately 60/40. I replaced my rear pads at 87,700 miles. I'm still on my original front pads at 93,000 miles. I probably have about 5,000 miles left on the fronts.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I dont know what it is but my rear pads just needed to be replaced on my 17 35d at 25k miles. Never had rear pads go that quick, luckily I have ultimate+ maintenance. Wife does spend a lot of time in traffic but still very soon for rears I think, fronts have 30k left on them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That iDrive warning/counter for brake is useless. In fact, it is not even there on 2019 x3 that I got as loner and x5 May be the same case

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for the information. I decided to get an independent BMW shop to measure the rotors and pads.
Front pads at 10mm
Rear pads at 6mm

Front rotors at 29.9mm
Rear rotors at 20.4mm

Reset front sensor. Kept rears at what car shows now.

Turns out the dealer found a malfunctioning sensor when it showed 300 miles.

Feel much better

1 - 10 of 10 Posts