BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my dashboard gave me a brake pads warning today, so I would like to know how much will it cost me to change the front and rear pads, not with expensive ones, just random ones at a local mechanic, and how long can I delay this I just got the warning today, but I am in short of cash right now, so I am considering about delaying it for 2 weeks or something like that. Do you think that I should get immediate attention on this warning, or can I delay it for a few weeks until I get some cash. Thanks a lot

·
Super Moderator
14,972 Posts
Hi, my dashboard gave me a brake pads warning today, so I would like to know how much will it cost me to change the front and rear pads, not with expensive ones, just random ones at a local mechanic, and how long can I delay this I just got the warning today, but I am in short of cash right now, so I am considering about delaying it for 2 weeks or something like that. Do you think that I should get immediate attention on this warning, or can I delay it for a few weeks until I get some cash. Thanks a lot
How much is your safety worth to you? Only you can answer that question.

If it is front and back, approximately $1,200 at a main dealer, with pads and rotors. $600 at a main dealer, if just front, or rear, each.

At a quality BMW independent mechanic, the labor should be less so you might expect to pay $300-$450 per axle. Check in your local area and ask for prices.

If you are handy with tools, you can do both axles at home over a weekend for approximately $300 in parts.

A set of pads, which is what you need at a minimum, is approximately $80-100. Since you wore the sensor out a new sensor is approximately $20.

The brake DIY thread is here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40523&page=2

I just did mine a few months ago, you can get some idea of what's involved here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252912&highlight=brake

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I changed the front pads and sensor today. that cost me 230 dollars. however the warning on the dashboard did not go off. So the guy told me the back sensors could be worn off also, so I have to change the back ones too, but he said that I don't have to do it immediately so that just the sensors are worn off but the brakes are just fine, so I decided to delay it for a while as well since the brakes are just fine. I don't want to give another 230 the very next day, but anyway thanks for the reply, that made me take immediate action, to see if there is something wrong with the brakes or not

·
Super Moderator
14,972 Posts
I changed the front pads and sensor today. that cost me 230 dollars. however the warning on the dashboard did not go off. So the guy told me the back sensors could be worn off also, so I have to change the back ones too, but he said that I don't have to do it immediately so that just the sensors are worn off but the brakes are just fine, so I decided to delay it for a while as well since the brakes are just fine. I don't want to give another 230 the very next day, but anyway thanks for the reply, that made me take immediate action, to see if there is something wrong with the brakes or not
Try this to reset the brake light:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3011479&postcount=5

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes this worked. the light went off when I did this, so do you think that this will happen again if I don't change the rear sensor, or this was just a dashboard error so that I spent 230 dollars for nothing?

·
Super Moderator
14,972 Posts
yes this worked. the light went off when I did this, so do you think that this will happen again if I don't change the rear sensor, or this was just a dashboard error so that I spent 230 dollars for nothing?
Erm, you did say you had the front brakes done? And the light reset after performing the procedure?

It seems fairly certain that the sensor that tripped was the front brake?

So, yes, you should be "ok" for a while on the rear brakes?

Am I missing something? :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
14,972 Posts
NTB told me that they'd replace the front brake pads for $220 including labor, tax and fees. How are they pricing this so low, when the other posts here say it should be $600? What's missing?
The rotors? :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Got ya on the rotors.

The NTB guy told me that the front brake pads are "down to %10." However, the light has not come on. Should I wait for the light, or assume that it is malfunctioning? I'm leaning toward wating for the light, but I don't want to be unsafe, but I'm also not going to be hustled by NTB.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Got ya on the rotors.

The NTB guy told me that the front brake pads are "down to %10." However, the light has not come on. Should I wait for the light, or assume that it is malfunctioning? I'm leaning toward wating for the light, but I don't want to be unsafe, but I'm also not going to be hustled by NTB.
Take a wheel off and look how much pad is left. It's not hard to figure out what you're looking at. Depending on what wheels you have, you may be able to see them with a flashlight with the wheel still on.

·
Super Moderator
14,972 Posts
Got ya on the rotors.

Not to be cheeky, but if you don't wait you won't have to replace the sensor as well. $20 is $20 after all...

Seriously, I'd be taking off a wheel and getting my digital caliper out. As per the experts on this site (I am not one) BMW rotors seem to wear almost as fast if not as fast as the pads themselves. This was true in my case (sample of 1) in which the rotors were seriously dished (worn) to the *cough* just at the wear limit, but I had plenty (3 to 4 mm) of pad left.

Rotor change and pad was a fairly easy DIY; I am no professional wrench but I managed it over a weekend; total cost of the parts (through a 'fest sponsor, www.turnermotorsports.com) was $320.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I just did my rears a month of so ago for 70 for the pads and 10 for the sensor from a friend at a private shop here in jersey. The problem is now that I need to do my front the same guy is quoting me for 145 for the sensor and pads for the front.

Am I getting the shaft, or was this a deal in disguise?

As far as the rotor vs pads go in wear, I was told by a pretty skilled mechanic that every second pad change is about time to change the rotors. (YMMV, fair driving, etc)

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
I just did my rears a month of so ago for 70 for the pads and 10 for the sensor from a friend at a private shop here in jersey. The problem is now that I need to do my front the same guy is quoting me for 145 for the sensor and pads for the front.

As far as the rotor vs pads go in wear, I was told by a pretty skilled mechanic that every second pad change is about time to change the rotors. (YMMV, fair driving, etc)
Front pads are $5 more per set on avg than rear... the work is the same... don't know why the price would be that different.

The 2 pad sets to 1 rotor thing is true with most cars; however, BMWs are more along the 1.5/1 or 1/1.. See the link in the wiki I posted earlier in the thread.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks so much for this info. After going through my repair history (I tracked it all down from previous garages that the previous owner used; very useful to me now) it says that on 02/22/2005 the rear brake pads and sensor were replaced. On 08/31/2005 the front brake pads, rotors and sensor were replaced. Would it really be time to do that again?...

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts

OEM-type front pads cost me (online) around $70 per set, and I think $12 for the sensor. Depending on your driving style, it`s quite possible to need fronts & rears at the same time.

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
369 Posts
OEM-type front pads cost me (online) around $70 per set, and I think $12 for the sensor. Depending on your driving style, it`s quite possible to need fronts & rears at the same time.

Regards,
Bob
Thanks Bob,

I was under the same impression, but I figured I'd scrape by on the pads this time and the next sign of wear will be everything pads, rotors, and checking of the lines/calipers (since the car has 110,xxx now).

Thanks for the price quote, i guess im throwing a rejected inspection sticker on it for all of a week...

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
What is a rotor? Is it not a matter of just putting new pads on, which isn't a major job.
The rotor is the "disc" part of "disc brakes", the pads clamp against the rotor. Both are normally replaced at the same time due to wear.

Regards,
Bob

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.