BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my E93 as a CPO with about 33,000 miles. The status menu said to service the rear brake pads in 48,000 miles and the fronts in 70,000 miles. It still says that 6,500 miles later. The service history I got from the dealer at the time of sale did not indicated any brake pad replacement. If that is the case these are great anticipated milages for pads (87,500 on the rear and 109,500 on the front). Is this normal for a 328i? Does anyone know what milages are shown on a new car? Could the dealer have reset this w/o replacing the pads?

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,353 Posts
I purchased my E93 as a CPO with about 33,000 miles. The status menu said to service the rear brake pads in 48,000 miles and the fronts in 70,000 miles. It still says that 6,500 miles later. The service history I got from the dealer at the time of sale did not indicated any brake pad replacement. If that is the case these are great anticipated milages for pads (87,500 on the rear and 109,500 on the front). Is this normal for a 328i? Does anyone know what milages are shown on a new car? Could the dealer have reset this w/o replacing the pads?
I don't recall the originally displayed miles-to-replace on my E92 (335, so larger rotors and pads), but I got 99,000 miles out of my first pair of rears and over 115,000 on the fronts, with 80% highway driving.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
In Oct 2016 I had 57K miles and the remaining front brake life said '4000 miles'. I called my BMW dealer to find out the end date for the Service Policy that I had purchased, and he told me the date it would end in Nov 2016, and he told me to 'drive the hell out of the car' to rack up the miles. So I put in a lot of highway miles and with just over 1000 added miles, the remaining front brake life said '4300 miles'. I brought my car in for its final service policy service, and the brake lining physical inspection told me "> 5mm'" -- which was the same as I had for the first 3 years of ownership!
Now my car has 68K miles on it, and the remaining front brake life still says '4000 miles' -- the same as one year ago.
IOW, take a huge chunk of salt with that remaining brake life estimate, and trust only when the sensor hits the rotor and wears itself down to trigger the light on the dash.

·
short-throw dipstick
122 Posts
I mean, AFAIK brakes (pads/rotors) don't have an expiration date. And they're not being used when you're driving and not slowing down, so a mileage estimate seems pretty useless.

I just installed new wear sensors on my '07 328i. PO had changed the pads and rotors, but didn't bother replacing the worn down, frayed sensors. I reset both service messages (front and rear): front went to 35000, rear to 38000 (I might have mixed that up, who cares). It's obviously monitoring the wear sensors, I dunno why it bothers giving a mileage for service.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I have to agree with all of the above. My '11 328xi has been saying for the past ~3K km that in 3,800km I need front pads, rear pads in 4,200km. I'm ready to buy the parts anytime, but the "mileage to service" doesn't seem to want to go down as I accumulate mileage on the odo :dunno: FWIW, brakes don't feel like they're pulsating or anything of the sort.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Unless the brake pad wear sensor light comes, the CBS brake status showing x miles is only a guide. It is not tied to anything that measures brake pad or rotor thickness. If tou are paranoid about the CBS miles until brake service, then get your or do it yourself brake pads and rotors measured. This is something yiu should have checked periodically anyways...oil change, annual inspection, etc are good times to also check your brakes.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Don' t worry. The story (and mileage left) will change when you hit the first bar on sensor and you will see it every time you start your car from that moment.
You will have enough time to order parts and plan your replacement. In other cars I remember counter started at around 2k miles and once it hit the second bar and popped the permanent brake lining warning light I still had ~ 300-400 miles left.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've owned my 2011 E93 for 7 years, and I've never changed rear brakes... Front brakes were done only once. And I drive mostly in a heavily congested city.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I've owned my 2011 E83 for 7 years, and I've never changed rear brakes... Front brakes were done only once. And I drive mostly in a heavily congested city.
It is not how many years you own the car but how many miles and how often you use brakes..

In my passenger cars front usually gets replaced at around 30k miles and rear every other front change (~60k) but in X5 front is good for about 20k and rear 40k... and I drive 80% in town and 20% on highways..

·
Registered
377 Posts
It is not how many years you own the car but how many miles and how often you use brakes..

In my passenger cars front usually gets replaced at around 30k miles and rear every other front change (~60k) but in X5 front is good for about 20k and rear 40k... and I drive 80% in town and 20% on highways..
True about the miles and driving style.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts