Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The F30 is great in that the brake pads create silver dust. This has the appearance of no brake dust. In contrast, older BMW's had brake pads that created black dust. That's why a lot of BMWs used to have dirty looking black wheels instead of silver wheels.

What replacement brake pads do you recommend? OEM? Brembo? Pagid?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I didn't know that about the silver dust. Sounds like a good idea though.

As far as a recommendation for "clean" pads, I've been very happy with Akebono Euros. There is a noticeable difference in the amount of dust generated.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Be aware that ceramic pads don’t have the initial bite of stock pads, especially before they warm up. I know lots of people use them, but be prepared for a different braking feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Be aware that ceramic pads don’t have the initial bite of stock pads, especially before they warm up. I know lots of people use them, but be prepared for a different braking feel.
It took me a few days to get used to the Akebono ceramics on the E39 & E46, but I'm happy with them.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The F30 is great in that the brake pads create silver dust. This has the appearance of no brake dust. In contrast, older BMW's had brake pads that created black dust. That's why a lot of BMWs used to have dirty looking black wheels instead of silver wheels.

What replacement brake pads do you recommend? OEM? Brembo? Pagid?
In addition to our 2016 340i m-sport, I have a 2013 X3 35i m-sport also. At a service check it was noted that my X3 needed F/R pads and rotors (around 52K miles). Of note, the original OEM pads made minimal brake dust and were never a problem. When replaced, the wheels were covered with black brake dust within 1-2 days! My service manager (won't name the dealership) worked with me to find a solution. His thought was that the replacement OEM pads were softer than the originals which caused the excessive brake dust. I investigated and found F/R Akebono pads that were advertised as producing minimal dust. He offered to replace the OEM pads with the Akebonos, purchase the pads and cover the rotors at the dealer's (or BMW's) expense. I told him I would pay for the front rotors but appreciated him covering the new pads, rear rotors, and all labor charges. The Akebonos are wonderful, and virtually dust free. Great dealership and wonderful offer and service.

·
Registered
174 Posts
In addition to our 2016 340i m-sport, I have a 2013 X3 35i m-sport also. At a service check it was noted that my X3 needed F/R pads and rotors (around 52K miles). Of note, the original OEM pads made minimal brake dust and were never a problem. When replaced, the wheels were covered with black brake dust within 1-2 days! My service manager (won't name the dealership) worked with me to find a solution. His thought was that the replacement OEM pads were softer than the originals which caused the excessive brake dust. I investigated and found F/R Akebono pads that were advertised as producing minimal dust. He offered to replace the OEM pads with the Akebonos, purchase the pads and cover the rotors at the dealer's (or BMW's) expense. I told him I would pay for the front rotors but appreciated him covering the new pads, rear rotors, and all labor charges. The Akebonos are wonderful, and virtually dust free. Great dealership and wonderful offer and service.

"Replace" rotors at 52,000 miles?? In my opinion, that is just a sign of either a poorly designed car or the OEM rotors were not very robust. But it was nice I'd dealer to work with you.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
176 Posts
Don’t get the ECS Tuning OEM replacement pads by Textar. They will absolutely make your wheels black. : ( The pads stop just fine but they throw off a ton of brake dust. I cringe if I miss one week of washing my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
728 Posts
The powerstop pads sold in Amazon is one choice. I have not wash my wheels for ~2 months since install and still not black.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Anybody know if the silver dust from ceramic pads create the same problem on black wheels? The OEM pads are certainly a dust problem though I do like their stopping power.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
"Replace" rotors at 52,000 miles?? In my opinion, that is just a sign of either a poorly designed car or the OEM rotors were not very robust. But it was nice I'd dealer to work with you.

You could be right but I was told the rotors are designed to be consumed as are the pads which might be why BMW requires their replacement at the time pads are replaced. I know on our old 07 550i the rotors were always visibly worn down a lot every time the brakes needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
You could be right but I was told the rotors are designed to be consumed as are the pads which might be why BMW requires their replacement at the time pads are replaced. I know on our old 07 550i the rotors were always visibly worn down a lot every time the brakes needed to be replaced.

Rotors are replaced when they approach the minimum thickness, which is stamped on the rotor hat. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
... which is every time you have them apart replacing pads. Stock BMW pads are hard on the rotors because OEM rotors are soft so by the time the pads are worn out, the rotors are practically down to the limit anyway. If you resurface them (and I've heard of people doing it), the thickness will definitely go far below spec by the time the next pads are worn out. Take a brand new E90 rotor for example, original thickness is 22.4mm and minimum thickness stamped on it is 22mm. You are not going to do a lot of surface correction with only .4mm to work with which includes loss due to wear.

·
Registered
174 Posts
... which is every time you have them apart replacing pads. Stock BMW pads are hard on the rotors because OEM rotors are soft so by the time the pads are worn out, the rotors are practically down to the limit anyway. If you resurface them (and I've heard of people doing it), the thickness will definitely go far below spec by the time the next pads are worn out. Take a brand new E90 rotor for example, original thickness is 22.4mm and minimum thickness stamped on it is 22mm. You are not going to do a lot of surface correction with only .4mm to work with which includes loss due to wear.

Wow, is what you are saying correct? Only 0.4mm between "new" and minim in thickness? I did not realize there was so little robustness for these rotors. If this a correct statement of only 0.04mm, I certainly agree with you that by the time you need another set of pads, the rotors would be below minimum. Are you sure about this ? Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try ceramic coating your rims, so clean up is as simple as using hose pressure water to rinse the dust away.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

1 - 14 of 14 Posts