Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally I’d hate to make multiple posts within a few hours but this is quite bad. So I’m following my friend and he stops quickly at a light. I press the brakes and very weak brakes. I press them all the way to the floor, the abs goes off and I finally stop( thank God). The brakes will stop the car but the pedal will slowly go right to the floor. I have a month old pads and rotors in the front. I’m thinking it might be the master cylinder but I’m not sure

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
15,547 Posts
That's my guess.

·
Registered
2001 BMW E39 540i Automatic Sedan, 192 K miles
1,575 Posts
Your brake fluid may be low -if so, bleed and refill it to the max mark.

Or your master cylinder may be failing.

·
Registered
15,547 Posts
Low fluid should trigger the warning. There's a level float in the reservoir cap.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Found the problem:
IMG_2915.jpg
It’s the brake line closest to the engine block
Fluid shoots out every time the break gets pressed.
Luckily I’m in a really good area so I’m going to come back tomorrow morning with a tow truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
2001 BMW E39 540i Automatic Sedan, 192 K miles
1,575 Posts
The leaky brake line hole looks pretty small.

I'd tightly cover that hole with a tape. Then, I would buy a quart of brake fluid (Pentosin dot-4), use to fill up the brake reservoir, and slowly drive the car to the mechanics garage. Stop and refill when necessary.
That is probably cheaper than the cost of a tow truck...

·
Registered
449 Posts

I'd tightly cover that hole with a tape. Then, I would buy a quart of brake fluid (Pentosin dot-4), use to fill up the brake reservoir, and slowly drive the car to the mechanics garage. Stop and refill when necessary.
No you don't!!! You have a ruptured brake line. Do not gamble with anyone's life by driving it on the road. Please...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Luckily with liberty Mutual’s roadside assistance that costs 9 dollars a year, a towing is covered for us

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2 new brake hoses and 100 dollars later... I am back on the road..... for now.

·
Member Supremo
1,594 Posts

That. Is very bad info.

OT: I take it you had a mechanic do the job? It would need a diagnostic system bleed after a ruptured ABS line.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I replaced my brake lines with the ECSTuning set and like the upgrade.. the ones under the hood do fail..

·
Registered
265 Posts
2 new brake hoses and 100 dollars later... I am back on the road..... for now.

So, my question to you is whether you have replaced the other brake hoses on the 4 corners? If this is any indication, the other brake hoses won't be too far behind.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, my question to you is whether you have replaced the other brake hoses on the 4 corners? If this is any indication, the other brake hoses won't be too far behind.

My 2 front ones were replaced a few months ago.

Owning a BMW is always interesting

1 - 14 of 14 Posts