BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

New dude here with a question about brakes.

I just took my 2007 328i in to get serviced under it's 4 year/50K mile warranty. The replaced the front brakes on it, but phoned to tell me that the rear brakes are aftermarket brakes and are thus not covered by the warranty. Also the people who put in the aftermarket brakes removed the brake sensors.

Now, I bought this car pre-owned from a non BMW dealer, so that's why they have the aftermarkets on them. When I talked to the BMW service guy, he said he could bring it all back under warranty for about $537. That is including the brakes and sensors. To me that seems a little high, as brake pads on Bavarian Auto sport (originals no less) go for less than $100 and sensors are about $30 (the service tech said it'd be $87). Is this strictly a matter of service time and not of part cost that is costing so much, or is there a large markup on parts through the dealership? Does the high cost indicate the pads only need to be replaced, or the rotors as well? If it is the rotors, I can see why the price is so high.

Also, if I decided to replace them myself with OEM brakes and sensors, bought through a third party, would that bring it back under warranty? Or only if I have THEM do it?

Lastly, I've read a few posts on-line about replacing brakes yourself, but none on my specific model. Is it easy to do for a car newbie? Or is it something I should take to a mechanic to do? Can anyone direct me to a step by step tutorial on replacing them on my car model?

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
That price sounds like it includes rotors - which are routinely replaced with pads on BMWs. Did the selling dealer reveal that it had non BMW rear brakes and no rear sensors when you bought it?

Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, But I'm sure that they had no clue what to look for. They were a Chevy Dealer, not a BMW one.

And the car met their "safety standards" when leaving the lot, so no recourse in getting the extended warranty I paid for to cover it...

Still is cheaper to do it myself:

$249 for a set of rotors from BavAuto
$90 for new oem brakes
$30 for the rear sensor

Still under $537. Such a shame.

·
Combat Commuter
1,973 Posts
Curious as to the "why" of spending the money on the rear brakes. How many miles on the car? Are the non-OEM brake pads worn out? or is the reason to replace to OEM to bring the car back in case of warranty? Are the rotors non-OEM also? Or are they worn out? My OEM rotors were serviceable until I replaced them around ~108K miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beats me. All I was told is that "aftermarket brakes" were put on the car and that they needed to be replaced. And all that the paperwork says now that I've gotten the car back is that they are "glazed". Which after this, I am going to look up and find out what it means.

I don't understand why the previous owner put aftermarket brakes on the car, especially when the thing was still under warranty with about 34K miles...:dunno:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts