BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I purchased a 2009 BMW X3 and I want to replace my brake rotors and pads because I see that there appears to be excessive rust on the current brake rotors and I am hearing a squeaking noise.

I'm looking for recommendations on what brand of brakes to go with. I see brake kits from Power Stop that are available that includes everything that I need.

1. Has anyone every used the Power Stop brand and what are your thoughts on them?

2. Would you recommend another brand of brakes?

Much thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
If the rotors are lightly rusted from sitting but not warped, etc., and the pads are still meaty, then try some gentle stop+go driving to clean them off. Maybe the squeaks will go away.

Read on here about changing the brake fluid too, being very careful not to let the lines run dry.

·
Anti-Hack
4,920 Posts
Just go out and drive it (avoid heavy/hard stops) and the rotors will clean up (if the rust is on the faces of them). They're bare steel... the start rusting instantly. If the vents are rusty, don't worry about it. If there is a sizable ridge around the pad contact area, start planning on replacement. If, after driving for a while, you still feel a heavy hammering through the brake pedal, replace. Assuming you have enough meat on the pads.

I used Meyle rotors on the front, with Pagid pads. I'd purchase the Pagid pads off ECS for $25/set a year ago, I forget what I paid for the rotors, but it was mid-level. Still on original rears (152k miles). I'd used Duralast rotors from Autozone for my E46 and they were fine (and have a lifetime warranty... last set of rotors you'll ever have to buy). Braking power and feel comes from the pads, and the rubber brake lines. Steel is steel, no need to spend an exorbitant amount on rotors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all the responses.

I might not have to replace the rotors after all. The squeak happens when I first start the car and back out of my parking spot and goes away after a few presses of the brake. I'm not sure where that is coming from.

·
Registered
976 Posts
It may just be that the anti-squeal treatment on the back of the pads has dried out

·
Registered
485 Posts
It may just be that the anti-squeal treatment on the back of the pads has dried out
Molykote M77 is what you most likely need to stop the squealing

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B3URP1I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What you should also do is check the rotor/pad thickness and compare those values to those in newTIS...it's pretty common for used vehicles to have suffered through pad-slapping....when rotor thickness is below min specs, upon hard cornering, there will be screeching.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm experiencing the same exact issues as you. Squeal backing out of the driveway, a little squeal here and there at first and then it goes away. However my rear rotors aren't in great shape and I'll be replacing them whenever the weather decides to cooperate.

Zimmerman, TRW, Textar are all great brands and some of them are OE suppliers. I wouldn't hesitate to choose any one of those.

Power stop also get great reviews and have good pricing for the slotted/drilled performance rotors if you're into that sort of thing.

I picked up a set of "Freemax" rotors for the rear of the X3 and Textar pads. The rotors were on sale which made my decision for me.

I'll let you know if that solves the problem for me.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I'm with Duke on rotors - I go with about the cheapest thing I can find in a familiar brand. I don't go so low as no-name stuff on ebay, but.... virtually all the rotors are made in China these days, so as long as a reputable company is comfortable with their supplier, I am comfortable with it. Buy cheap, solid rotors and spend more on your pads. I happen to be a huge fan of Akebono Euro Ceramic pads, but there are many good choices out there depending on your preferences.

AM.

·
Anti-Hack
4,920 Posts
I'm experiencing the same exact issues as you. Squeal backing out of the driveway, a little squeal here and there at first and then it goes away. However my rear rotors aren't in great shape and I'll be replacing them whenever the weather decides to cooperate.

Zimmerman, TRW, Textar are all great brands and some of them are OE suppliers. I wouldn't hesitate to choose any one of those.

Power stop also get great reviews and have good pricing for the slotted/drilled performance rotors if you're into that sort of thing.

I picked up a set of "Freemax" rotors for the rear of the X3 and Textar pads. The rotors were on sale which made my decision for me.

I'll let you know if that solves the problem for me.
Probably just the surface rust that built up over night on your rotors wearing off.

·
Registered
763 Posts
In the old days before "safety" and all, BMW used to recommend a procedure right in the owners manual to burn off pad/rotor residue. You had to get up to like 90 mph on a highway and then brake HARD down 50-60, then repeat a couple times. This heats up the brakes/rotors nicely to burn stuff off and scraping with the hard braking. Then you had to drive for aways with out touching the brakes for them to cool. If you did that in town and then had to stop at a light, etc., you could actually CAUSE a rotor warp.

·
Anti-Hack
4,920 Posts
In the old days before "safety" and all, BMW used to recommend a procedure right in the owners manual to burn off pad/rotor residue. You had to get up to like 90 mph on a highway and then brake HARD down 50-60, then repeat a couple times. This heats up the brakes/rotors nicely to burn stuff off and scraping with the hard braking. Then you had to drive for aways with out touching the brakes for them to cool. If you did that in town and then had to stop at a light, etc., you could actually CAUSE a rotor warp.
Similar to standard pad-rotor bedding procedure, though not quite as high a speed. Whenever I do a brake job for a customer, or family member, I make sure to do that myself.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I got these from ebay. I know, probably not the best choice for BMWs but for $100 (just the front rotors, pads and sensor). Went on easy and they have worked really well. No vibrations, no issues no nothing. Lots of stop and go and they havent gotten "soft" or anything. I cant remember exactly what I did but I didnt hook the sensor up correctly or I covered it or something so it doesnt function. I dont really care though because I dont need a sensor to tell me when my brakes need replaced. Anyway, these work just fine and I will be using them on the rears soon too. I got them quick too out of chicago....took like 4 days once ordered.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Probably just the surface rust that built up over night on your rotors wearing off.
I'm familiar with the moisture induced surface rust, but this happens sometimes even after I'm parked for a short period of time.

This little truck has been "rode hard and put away wet" as my Kansas City friends would say, so many issues to sort out little by little.

It would be great if I could get the new pads and rotors on but the weather turned for the worse a couple days ago and it's currently -14

·
Registered
362 Posts
And I thought it was crappy here it 68 or whatever it is

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I'm familiar with the moisture induced surface rust, but this happens sometimes even after I'm parked for a short period of time.

This little truck has been "rode hard and put away wet" as my Kansas City friends would say, so many issues to sort out little by little.

It would be great if I could get the new pads and rotors on but the weather turned for the worse a couple days ago and it's currently -14
Rotors will gather surface rust in hours in humid climates. It’s fine.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Rotors will gather surface rust in hours in humid climates. It’s fine.
Like I said, I'm very familiar with surface rust from moisture. That doesn't concern me at all.

What I'm hearing isn't being caused by that type of rust. I'll have a better look this weekend, the temps will be back in the +

1 - 20 of 21 Posts