BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
130 Posts
Good write up.

Maybe I missed this if already mentioned but it's a good idea to keep an eye on the brake fluid level in the reservoir when pushing the caliper piston in. It can potentially overflow when pushing fluid back from the caliper.

Les

· Registered
130 Posts
Unfortunately, you have to take panels off to expose the reservoir. Not sure how tricky that is.
True. Typically it's far simpler than a pad and rotor change as easy maintenance access is required. At least on a LHD 2015 535ix the reservoir, master cylinder and booster assembly is on the drivers side firewall. Level is visible through the hood hinge and strut opening.

If the triangular panel covering it needs removed there are three plastic rivets with a center pin to remove first along the aft side then the panel lifts out. They made these with nice large heads that I pulled with a couple finger nails. Guess these are cheaper than the quarter turn cam locks BMW used to use.

Install is the reverse. Just hold the back of the panel tight against the spot where the rivet goes, insert the rivet and push the lock pin down. Repeat for the other two. The front of the panel clips over a brace. Might have to run a thumb along the rubber weather strip to pull out any that was caught. It took far longer to type this than to do it.

I just mentioned this as pushing a piston in displaces a fair amount of fluid back to the reservoir. If the reservoir overflows it makes a nasty mess. After completing the pad change fluid level should be adjusted to the max fill level marked on the reservoir using new fluid from a sealed container.

Les

· Registered
130 Posts
One never knows who will be reading these things. For someone who's done brakes before the need is obvious. The guy who just started doing his own oil changes maybe not so much. I know I appreciated the tip way back when.

I don't know if GM etc is still using a bladder on the reservoir or not. The older domestics are the last place I've seen it. No current experience on these. No idea why BMW, Porsche etc haven't done this. Maybe a good way of having required maintenance charges,,,

As to the immortality of fluid in a can that was opened you might want to pick up one of the cheap electronic moisture meters. Results can be interesting and very dependent on the container cap design. The ones with paper seals in the cap don't fair well. Turned out I had a sampling that got lost on the back of the shelf. When in doubt use a sealed one.

I won't sidetrack this thread further. Rant away. :D

Les

· Registered
130 Posts
I've not done an F10 before so no experience there. It has been necessary on other cars. Depends a bit on how worn the rotors and pads are which equates to how far the piston is out and whether the fluid has been kept topped up. It's been a while but I think the X5 was within a whisker of overflow. Easy enough to watch and no harm if it's not needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.