BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Brake rotor replacement

2026 8
I purchased extended maintenance on my x5, with the assumption that the rotors would be changed with the pads. It is common knowledge that this is not always the case. I have always brought the x5 in for brakes at the earliest indication by IDrive. To increase the odds of new rotors with pads, could one just wait as long as possible to change brakes?? If the truck was brought in, let's say, 1200 miles overdue for brakes, could BMW somehow deny the maintenance claim?? Obviously, you would bring in the truck at any sign of an unsafe situation...any thoughts??
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
I would think that as long as the rotors meet the minimum specifications for thickness the most they would do is resurface them. If there is no pulsation they might just leave them alone.
But the silly BMW maintenance system is designed such that failing to replace rotors can lead to unsafe conditions.... How?

If the pads wear down, and the dealer replaces the pads and says "rotors are over minimum", then HOW WILL THE EDN USER DETERMINE WHEN THE ROTORS SHOULD BE CHECKED AGAIN?

Back in the day, they just periodically inspected.

But with the current system, those rotors will go an entire second set of pads before BMW, the car, the owner, does an inspection!

So unless the rotor is UNDER 50% worn, it will be PAST due when the next set of pads are toast.

My two cents. It surprises me that BMW can get away with this..I think it is a dealer call, and BMWNA knows the underlying issue...
I would think that as long as the rotors meet the minimum specifications for thickness the most they would do is resurface them. If there is no pulsation they might just leave them alone.
My car shows service due for front brake pads and brake fluid change. I was shopping around for the brake job quotes and it ranges from $750 to $800 for front brake pads and rotors (pads and rotors inclusive) replacement - $90 for each pad, $160 for each rotor and the rest is labor charges - which is $200. These don't include brake fluid change - brake flush is $70-$100 ($70 at a shop and $100 at the dealership).

I found a few good DIY videos on how to replace brake pads and rotors. I am planning to replace the brake pads, sensors and rotors myself. I have a few questions before I begin:

1) Are there any precautions that I need to take or anything that I need to be aware of?

2) Do I need to purchase rotors or pads of a specific manufacturer or can I purchase a good set at the nearest Autozone or any auto shop?

3) I found a ceramic pads for $90 a set. What is the difference b/w ceramic and regular pads?

4) I know pads and rotor replacment are pretty much mechanical and technical involvement. How about brake fluid change? Is brake flush required? And for 2008 X5 3.0Si how much oil and what type of oil do I need to buy?

Thank you in advance for sharing your valuable experience.
I've done brake changes on my 540i several times and on newer 5 series vehicles. I would assume on the X5 they are designed the same.

1) Make sure to buy the brake pad wear sensor, should be one for the fronts and one for the rears.

2) I would purchase the pads and rotors online. Try rmeuropean.com or pelicanparts.com.

3) Ceramics pads are better than standard pads because they don't make your wheels turn black after 3 days of driving. Also, it's been my experience that ceramic pads last longer. I'm not due a brake change on my wife's X5 but I will be changing them out for ceramics just due to the brake dust alone. yuck!

4) I went well over 100k miles on my 540i before having the brake fluid flushed. Never noticed a difference after the flush vs prior to flush.
My car shows service due for front brake pads and brake fluid change. I was shopping around for the brake job quotes and it ranges from $750 to $800 for front brake pads and rotors (pads and rotors inclusive) replacement - $90 for each pad, $160 for each rotor and the rest is labor charges - which is $200. These don't include brake fluid change - brake flush is $70-$100 ($70 at a shop and $100 at the dealership).

I found a few good DIY videos on how to replace brake pads and rotors. I am planning to replace the brake pads, sensors and rotors myself. I have a few questions before I begin:

1) Are there any precautions that I need to take or anything that I need to be aware of?

2) Do I need to purchase rotors or pads of a specific manufacturer or can I purchase a good set at the nearest Autozone or any auto shop?

3) I found a ceramic pads for $90 a set. What is the difference b/w ceramic and regular pads?

4) I know pads and rotor replacment are pretty much mechanical and technical involvement. How about brake fluid change? Is brake flush required? And for 2008 X5 3.0Si how much oil and what type of oil do I need to buy?

Thank you in advance for sharing your valuable experience.
I was "palpating" the rotor and noticed a slight rise towards the edge of the rotor. I ca't say the rise is significantly high but it is not unnoticible. That means the brake area of it was worn out. When I bought the car it had 52K miles on it. I put on 2K on top. Does that mean the previous owner never changed the rotor and now it needs replacement? I know it requires quite a few examinations before making a virdict.
More than likely the previous owner did not change the rotors. What you are feeling is the lip caused from the brake pads being pressed into the rotor over time. I know the X5 is heavier and different but to give you an idea, I drove my 540i on the original rotors to about 200k miles before changing them out. Never had any issues prior to that. I only changed them because I wanted to add cross-drilled rotors. :)
I was "palpating" the rotor and noticed a slight rise towards the edge of the rotor. I ca't say the rise is significantly high but it is not unnoticible. That means the brake area of it was worn out. When I bought the car it had 52K miles on it. I put on 2K on top. Does that mean the previous owner never changed the rotor and now it needs replacement? I know it requires quite a few examinations before making a virdict.
Replacing the rotors requires removal of the caliper carrier brackets. Get a star socket #E18 - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8783017&highlight=#post8783017
... Are there any precautions that I need to take or anything that I need to be aware of?
For Precautions, I would make sure that the car is properly supported on Jack Stands before proceeding with any work; do not rely on the jacks alone.

For Parts/ Ceramics Pads, Wear Sensors (different one each - front and rear) and, Rotors; you could use the AdvancedAutoparts or Autozone website with the online discount coupons and pickup in store option.

Search Youtube for DIY videos and familiarize yourself with the process.

Goodluck and post back on here when you are done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.