BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:
yes I am hoppi9n mad...
the rotor is stuck...it feels like I am missing the removal of a spring....
any one help me out
REAR

·
Delusions of Grandeur!
685 Posts
Remove that allen retaining screw. Then bang on et with a nice rubber mallet. Rotated and bang, rotate and bang. Try hitting it on the front and from the back.

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
5 lb sledge from the back at 90deg intervals. It will pop off with a couple of whacks..

If you are replacing a rear rotor, I trust you have released the parking brake...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
scott

i have a manual tran
I have the park brake engaged...thus the spring effect huh...
If I put the car in gear..and take the e-brake off....should I b ok

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
i have a manual tran
I have the park brake engaged...thus the spring effect huh...
If I put the car in gear..and take the e-brake off....should I b ok
Make sure all the wheels on the ground are chocked before releasing the parking brake. You may also need to back off the parking brake adjusters if there is a small ridge in the rotor hat caused by the parking brake shoes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELP...i AM APPARENTLY AN IDIOT...
Had taken the ebrake off and well lets just say red hot knife through recently microwaved butter

thanks again to u all!
Scott espicially for pointing out my moment in the sun

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELP...i AM APPARENTLY AN IDIOT...
Had taken the ebrake off and well lets just say red hot knife through recently microwaved butter

thanks again to u all!
Scott espicially for pointing out my moment in the sun
You are not an idiot my friend. We've all been there. Glad it all worked out. :thumbup: :banana:

Keep it all clean; and give the hub face a light smear of antisieze paste before the new rotors go on.

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
You are not an idiot my friend. We've all been there. Glad it all worked out. :thumbup: :banana:

Keep it all clean; and give the hub face a light smear of antisieze paste before the new rotors go on.
+1,000. Posting stories of one's mechanical competence (or not) on the internet is good for your humility.

Glad it worked out. :D :fruit:

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
+1,000. Posting stories of one's mechanical competence (or not) on the internet is good for your humility.

Glad it worked out. :D :fruit:
Pssst .. Moss Motors has a new Classic Mini catalog ... PM me.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
LOL. I cracked up when I read your post about the parking brake being on. Glad to hear that you were able to get the rotor off. Don't feel too bad, especially if this was your first time doing the rear brakes on one of these cars. This is a great place to learn and get help.

·
I need a drink
2,076 Posts
I am guilty of the same infraction. That is why the second time of doing something is 10 times easier.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,977 Posts
You are not an idiot my friend. We've all been there. .
True story, my first BMW brake job had this happen. Thankfully mine came off and when I heard the Boinnnng! sound from the springs and parking brake shoes, I realized what I had done. :banghead:

·
The Boss of Nobody
3,695 Posts
lol had the same problem get something really heavy. like an axe. hit it with the butt. will come right off.
Lol, "Technical Tap" FTMFW!

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,977 Posts
Just a note to all about blasting rotors with a hammer. If the rotors are really badly seized on, make sure to follow Scott ZHP's advice about hit, rotate, hit, rotate, because a worn wheel bearing can (and did on my car) fail from the hard blows only in one spot. I had a front rotor that was stuck on, and had this happen. That was a crappy DIY, and I had to buy a $45 socket that is the size of Rhode Island to get the wheel bearing nut off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts