BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front and back brakes squeals everytime I brake and today I noticed the 4 wheels are pretty dirty. The screens says my rear brakes have 9,000 miles remaining and the front brakes have 22,000 miles remaining. What could be causing it to squeal everytime I brake?

·
Registered
5 Posts
try the brake fluid flush, i uesed to have that noise before a fully stop, but its gone today after i did the maintainence.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I have very similar symptoms in my 530. When going about 15 mph or less, the brakes squeek whenever I apply moderate-light pressure. If I'm just barely on them I hear nothing or if I apply them fairly hard the squeeking immedeately goes away. I already had the car in a couple months ago to have the pads checked out (said i have around 12000 on the rears and 8000 on the fronts remaining) so maybe I will have them flush the brake fluid when my state inspection comes up next week.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Brake squeal is vibration in the moving parts of the brake system set up by the friction of the pads against the rotors. The pads vibrate at a high frequency and where they contact other surfaces (calipers, pistons, slides) they cause the squealing sound.

Most brake noise can be eliminated by applying high temperature brake caliper grease to the back of pads (where they make contact with the calipers and brake pistons. Also apply a small amount in the caliper slides (where the pads ride in and out in their carriers). This grease lubricates the contact surfaces and prevents squealing.

Be careful, though to not get any grease on the rotor faces or brake pad friction material. And be sure to use grease designed specifically for brakes. Otherwise the grease will melt from the temperature and contaminate the brakes, rendering them ineffective.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
My front and back brakes squeals everytime I brake and today I noticed the 4 wheels are pretty dirty. The screens says my rear brakes have 9,000 miles remaining and the front brakes have 22,000 miles remaining. What could be causing it to squeal everytime I brake?
A few years ago I had the brake noise issue and they replaced the brake wear sensors (and pads), per attached SIB. No more noise.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the same problem. The screen said I had 11000 miles left on the pads. There is a voluntary recall on this if the customer complains. Mine were replaced and the problem went away.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the same problem. The screen said I had 11000 miles left on the pads. There is a voluntary recall on this if the customer complains. Mine were replaced and the problem went away.
How did you go about getting them to fix it for free?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you not read my response to your original question, in post #5.
Should I print that out and present that to the service advisor? What I'm asking is how should I bring this to their attention?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
A few years ago I had the brake noise issue and they replaced the brake wear sensors (and pads), per attached SIB. No more noise.
+1

Stream, as always, is good and wise. :thumbup:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So when I bring my vehicle to the dealership should I tell them about the brake noise and present them with the SIB at the same time?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well, my car only has 12,000 miles and the brakes squeals also. Took it today, told them about it and they told me brake noise wasn't covered. I showed them the SIB and they asked me how I got it... I didn't get a good vibe at this dealer, first time I take it there. Driver took it for a drive around the parking. He told the advisor that it wasn't noise from the sensor. According to him it was the usual brake noise!!! I left it there because they were going to inspect it.

They point out that according to the SIB, improved sensors or pads have installed from January 06. Mine was produce Dec/06

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well, I was just told its Glazed Brakes. They said it would be $325 but that it wasn't needed as my breaks still have lot of miles left. They said when it was time to replace them that it would be covered. :)

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Well, I was just told its Glazed Brakes. They said it would be $325 but that it wasn't needed as my breaks still have lot of miles left. They said when it was time to replace them that it would be covered. :)
If that's what it is, there is a DIY. Go out on a local highway early on a weekend morning, when there isn't much traffic. You need to burn the glaze off the rotors with a series of hard braking cycles. Get up to 60 or 70 MPH, then brake pretty hard to get down to 20 MPH or less. Repeat this a few times. You'll probably notice an odor--that's OK.

But, by all means, be careful doing it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Is that all there is to it? Just a a couple of hard stops? There are plenty of areas I can do that without problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Brake squeal

Hi Ken,

I have an 04 530i with the same exact problem. I brought it to my local BMW dealer and they said it was a common problem with the brakes, the sensor is scraping and making that noise but not damaging anything. I too have 15k+ left on the brakes and the only way to fix it is to replace the brakes with the pads they use on the newer model. BMW told me it wasn't worth it if I can just ignore the sound until I really need new brakes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts