BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:angel:I have BMW 520i N reg (1995-1996) 2litre 24 valve saloon

Basically, the brakes wearing down n the brake wear indicator didnt show, n wen brakes changed it was because the pad without the indicator was worn down first

anyway, had all discs and pads replaced both on rear or front and on rear the brake indicator replaced, the front one was not as the wires had been cut by prev owner,

but the handbrake shoes were not replaced (seperate to my discs and pads at rear)

anyway all of sudden for no reaosn the brake wear indicator came on, ignored it n it went off n then came back on and has been on wen ever i drive the car, i tried the thing by turning key to position 2 n leave 30 secs n it goes out but when i start driving its back on

now i know from rumours tht the indicator that has been cut off could cause this however, when i got the car and prior to brake pads and disc change never had this light, and for about 2-3 weeks after the change still never had the ;light

therefore why all of sudden it come on? any ideas how to solve it and someone told me that u cud jus connect the two wires on the one indicator to "close" the circuit. if i do this any risk of causing furthe rproblems for the car and any health risks or future electrical risks?

please help

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you confirmed that the circuits are closed on both left front & right rear... and the light is on... dunno. If one or both are open, you can close by connecting the 2 wires together and properly securing, of course. There's no issue doing this other than the obvious .. no warning indicator.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
help

what if lcosing the circuit doesnt solve the problem, is there a way i can reset the computer error codes without going to a garage to do it and also not the way iv alreayd been told (turn key to position 2 for 30secs)?

If you confirmed that the circuits are closed on both left front & right rear... and the light is on... dunno. If one or both are open, you can close by connecting the 2 wires together and properly securing, of course. There's no issue doing this other than the obvious .. no warning indicator.

·
The Biggest P0st Whore!!
2,912 Posts
Front left and rear right (as viewed from the rear of the car).
I have never heard of a way to reset the code. I think the computer is hard wired to provide that error message. If the connectors have been cut off you can try cutting the wires back some more and splicing it together. The wires might be broken inside or the current splice may have corroded.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

checked it and th elooping was filthy and corroded, so sorte dit out with fresh bullets n plastic bagged over it prevent dirt, had partners dad do it (he use to b mechanic), and now the light gone out, so all good

thanks ofr evryones help too

Front left and rear right (as viewed from the rear of

the car).
I have never heard of a way to reset the code. I think the computer is hard wired to provide that error message. If the connectors have been cut off you can try cutting the wires back some more and splicing it together. The wires might be broken inside or the current splice may have corroded.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.