BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 328i (F31). Time for new brakes and pads - going to install myself. I was thinking it might be a good idea to upgrade rotors to cross-drilled, slotted rotors. What do you think? Is it worth the extra money? Advantages/disadvantages? Should I go with ceramic pads? Any other advice or input would be appreciated.

I supposed I'll admit that I think the rotors will look cool.

Ordering online is kind of tricky - are my rotors 312mm? I'm hoping to make sure so I don't end up having to send them back. And I'd rather wait until I have the parts and am ready to complete the job before I raise the car and take one off.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Slotted rotors aren't usually a problem, but cheap drilled ones can/will crack if the holes aren't chamfered. Zimmerman Z Coat rotors are all you need unless you're going for style points! Ceramic pads will dust less, but you may lose some of the initial bite - I noticed that with Akebono Euro ceramics but got used to it.

If you put your VIN in the box at realoem.com it will direct you to the parts that fit your car. In the brake section you'll see the rotor size. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

As you're in TX check prices at AutohausAZ. You can also consider FCP Euro - they have kits with pads, rotors & pad sensors & have a lifetime replacement guarantee so they'll be the last brake parts you'll pay for. Both offer free shipping with purchases > $48.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Thanks for all the info. Awesome.
Like it was said, slotted rotors are not an issue, but you might have some grinding sound when braking hard.
For performance, you really do not need cross drilled or slotted, but I would get Brembo for that matter or ATE.
Also, replace brake fluid with ATE TYP200.
Now, I think F30/31 uses same pad design as previous E90 series but more ceramic to eliminate dust. I personally like brakes on E series much more bcs. of strong initial bite.
I also had Akebono on VW, took them out after some time as IMO they are absolute POS.
If you do not mind dust, I would test pads from E90 made by ATE or Textar.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am actually in the same boat. My 328i Gt Xdrive came with brand new brakes when I purchased it CPO. It's a base model. I am thinking of swapping pads and/or rotors. I concur in my past experience I've had great luck with slotted but have never seen a practical advantage to drilled. I love the feel of slotted.

Is there also an option to consider to cheaply upgrade to the brakes that come with the M-Sport package? The M-Performance package looks expensive. I want more bite.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
I am actually in the same boat. My 328i Gt Xdrive came with brand new brakes when I purchased it CPO. It's a base model. I am thinking of swapping pads and/or rotors. I concur in my past experience I've had great luck with slotted but have never seen a practical advantage to drilled. I love the feel of slotted.

Is there also an option to consider to cheaply upgrade to the brakes that come with the M-Sport package? The M-Performance package looks expensive. I want more bite.
Buy pads from E90 model.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,640 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Keis Motorsports has a YouTube video of F30 brake rotor/pad replacement which will make your job very easy. He also has three videos about powder coating F30 brake calipers.

You need to decide what your goals are: Longevity, track performance, better looks, less brake dust, lower cost. You definitely cannot have them all.

Drilled/slotted rotors are designed for track use, where you continually brake at high speed and you want to prevent brake overheating. This will not happen on the street with the stock setup, but there’s no arguing that drilled/slotted rotors look better than solids.

For appearance, the direction to go is drilled/slotted rotors which won’t show rust. Rotors have a very high iron content, and it’s very common for them to show rust immediately after a car wash. A little braking will remove the rust from the rotor surface, but not from the visible, non-contact surfaces. If that’s important, research carefully.

As many mentioned, the Akebono ceramic pads don’t throw off as much dust, keeping your alloys cleaner. But many have said they don’t brake quite as aggressively, though they certainly work and they’ll stop the car. And, less aggressive braking can be more comfortable.

I looked into powder coating my calipers. I found a reputable shop that will do all four for $320. But that’s with me removing and prepping the calipers myself. Afterwards, you need to rebuild them by replacing the pistons and installing new seals. Kies has a very clear video about all of the steps. It’s not especially hard.

You probably cannot buy all of the powder coating tools yourself for $320, but if you want to do more powder coating, the tool investment is worth considering. The thing about powder coating is that you need to bake the parts in a dedicated oven (NOT your kitchen oven), and the baking will cause any contaminants to outgas — vaporize. This will cause the new paint to bubble, unless you pre-bake the parts. So it takes a lot of time, patience, and electricity. Not very hard work, but maybe several days, especially if your oven is too small to hold all four calipers at once.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts