BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to change the brake pads on the front of my 1999 540i this weekend and would like some help or diagrams on the process. I have done my american cars alot, but these are a little different. I feel i will only need a little help. But I would also like to change my struts on the front also, which I have also done on my american cars, but need some help. I also not sure how to tell if I have the electronic struts or not, big difference in price. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I am going to change the brake pads on the front of my 1999 540i this weekend and would like some help or diagrams on the process. I have done my american cars alot, but these are a little different. I feel i will only need a little help. But I would also like to change my struts on the front also, which I have also done on my american cars, but need some help. I also not sure how to tell if I have the electronic struts or not, big difference in price. Thank you.
I just did this on my 6 cylinder.. The brake pads are very very easy..Two bolts hold the caliper then slide it out.

The front struts aren't too bad. Your 540 may actually be easier to do since you dont have to remove the ball joint I beleive.

Read and print this step by step procedure. It also shows you how to change your brake pads. Ping me if you need any help, I will be glad to offer advice.

http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/front_struts_procedure.htm

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Brake pads are easy. There are two 7mm hex bolts in the caliper, that's the only "weird" part. The retaining clip is a real pain though. Be aware of the pad wear sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
If you need more information than this (see below), then let me know as that means I missed something obvious ...

- What E39 street use brake pads (1) and rotors (1) and suppliers (1) (2) are most often recommended & how to do a complete four wheel brake job DIY (1) (2) (3) including the parking brake drum shoes (1) (2) (3) & exactly what lube/paste to use and not use (1) & where to lube (1) and not to lube (1) what tools (1) (2) and supplies (1) you'll need & what specifications you must know (1) including minimum specs for the brake shoes (1) (2) taking care to measure torque accurately (1) & how to crack friction material edge codes (1) & how far you can go once the brake wear sensor trips (1) (2) (3) (4) & how long do rotors last (1) & how to clear the check brake lining warning the right way (1) (2) and how to hardwire the sensor (1) (2) & how to diagnose brake-related vibration (1) (2) (3) & the truth about rotor "warp" (1) & how to rebuild the calipers (1) & how to measure runout (1) & should you just turn the rotors (1) & how to remove stuck rusted-on brake rotors (1) & how to remove a stuck 6mm brake rotor set screw (1) & how to replace the anti-rattle spring (1) (2) & what about unsightly rust (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to bed (1) (2) & bleed or flush (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) your brakes & what brake & clutch hydraulic fluid to use (1) and how much it will cost if you do not DIY (1) (2) (3)

·
Der Ursprüngliche....Albo
1,008 Posts
Ball Joint removal is not necessary on the 6 cylinder models. I just did an install of bilstein sport struts and shocks without performing that step. All that is required to remove the old struts is to turn the steering wheel to full lock in the opposite direction. Then push down on the assembly and tilt the strut out and up to remove.

Straighten the steering when your ready to install the new strut.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
To Albo:
I'm curious ... why do you mention that particular?

To the OP ... these may be useful:
- Most popular E39 shocks/struts (1) (2) & an E39 suspension survey (1)

·
Der Ursprüngliche....Albo
1,008 Posts
To Albo:
I'm curious ... why do you mention that particular?
I found it to be much easier to install the strut with the wheel assembly pointing straight. With the assembly still cocked to one side, it makes it difficult to push the strut up into the strut tower.

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
No electronic suspension in the front. There's only air *springs* in the rear of the tourings.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Ball Joint removal is not necessary on the 6 cylinder models. I just did an install of bilstein sport struts and shocks without performing that step. All that is required to remove the old struts is to turn the steering wheel to full lock in the opposite direction. Then push down on the assembly and tilt the strut out and up to remove.

NOW you tell me!!:cry:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts