Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of new brakes on my 2004 530i.

My front and rear brakes are almost due for replacement.

I was thinking of doing a cross-drilled set up with factory brake pads since I really like the aggressiveness the oem pads. I like that initial bite that the pads have.

I have been looking for a good rotor online, i found a website called www.bimmerbrakes.com but not sure how good of a quality the rotors are.

I want better braking so I think a drilled rotor is a good way to go.

can anyone comment on what they recommend for a brake set up on my car.
I do have aftermarket wheels and tires on my car too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
me too

I agree. Centric makes Stoptech brake parts including rotors. I would suggest that cross drilled rotors on a street car are probably overkill, mostly for looks, and may not last as long as solid or slotted rotors. I would recommend a Stoptech/Centric slotted rotor that is available on numerous web sites at reasonable prices. Use whatever pads you like depending on your expectations or demands on the braking system. Try auto warehouse.com for starters- Centric rotors, front solid- $87, slotted- $108. I have the slotted version f&r on my car with no issues whatsoever. Good luck!

·
1.888.JLEVISW
647 Posts
I agree. Centric makes Stoptech brake parts including rotors. I would suggest that cross drilled rotors on a street car are probably overkill, mostly for looks, and may not last as long as solid or slotted rotors. I would recommend a Stoptech/Centric slotted rotor that is available on numerous web sites at reasonable prices. Use whatever pads you like depending on your expectations or demands on the braking system. Try auto warehouse.com for starters- Centric rotors, front solid- $87, slotted- $108. I have the slotted version f&r on my car with no issues whatsoever. Good luck!
+1. The StopTech/Centric rotors with StopTech St. PERF BPs are one of your best choices.

As always,
for more information and other members' suggestions.

Feel free to shoot me a PM / E-Mail or call if you had any questions. :D

StopTech SportStop Brake Rotors
StopTech SportStop brake rotors are made of an alloy developed from the material used in StopTech's patented AeroRotors used on StopTech Big Brake Kits. This material offers superior cracking resistance due to thermal stress as well as increased initial bite and improved wet weather response. These rotors are OEM diameter for a perfect replacement fit and offer OE or improved vane design where possible on all rotors. These rotors are offered in slotted and cross drilled varieties.

StopTech Stainless Steel Brake Lines
StopTech Stainless Steel Brake Lines provide a quicker pedal response, maintaining consistent brake pressure and precision brake modulation, especially during threshold braking. The stainless steel braid provides support for the Teflon and the weave is extremely durable against incidental impact and abrasion.

StopTech Street Performance Brake Pads
StopTech Street Performance Brake Pads are engineered to meet the demands of high performance driving while maintaining the refinement and comfort expected in everyday driving conditions. These pads combine the benefits of premium street brake pads with aggressive friction formulas suitable for track day and autocross use. These pads offer increased bite, less fade and less dust than OEM pads. A good replacement at an excellent price.

·
BMW doesnt = pick up tab
29 Posts

Thanks, I am also brake shopping for my '04 530i. I am changing the 4 rotors, pads, and sensors. Got quoted $1300 for the job. Seems pretty extreme so I am shopping around for good certified mechanics. Question is...How long does these parts usually last? Im also putting aftermarket wheels on this summer with the staggered fitment. Any feedback would be helpful and appreciated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry, I have to make a sale plug here. I have brand new, still in box OEM front pads that I was going to use on my 2004 530i. Long story short I ended up with two sets. PM me if you're interested, will sell for a very good price! :)

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
You can't go wrong with the OEM pads for street performance... They are just annoyingly dirty because of their soft/organic compound. The aftermarket ceramic composition pads are much cleaner and the best ones will perform almost like the OEM pads.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Performance Blanks and Stoptech Street Performance Pads for street setup :) Great combo if you don't need the slotted or drilled set.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just ordered a pair of Akebono Euro Ceramic Pads and Centric Premium Rotors from tire rack for my 04 530i, tired of all the brake dust. Does anyone know of any good mechanics in the DC metro area for installation?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am in need of new brakes on my 2004 530i.

My front and rear brakes are almost due for replacement.

I was thinking of doing a cross-drilled set up with factory brake pads since I really like the aggressiveness the oem pads. I like that initial bite that the pads have.

I have been looking for a good rotor online, i found a website called www.bimmerbrakes.com but not sure how good of a quality the rotors are.

I want better braking so I think a drilled rotor is a good way to go.

can anyone comment on what they recommend for a brake set up on my car.
I do have aftermarket wheels and tires on my car too.

check out acute performance, or check out the vendor section at e60.net. It seems like they get good feedback from many other E60 owners on after market brake rotors and pads.

Gonna go with them later when my brakes are done too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi this is my first post...Is it Ok to change out the rear rotor and pads and not change the front? I***8217;m planning to upgrade the rear since they are due for replacement. The fronts were done a few months ago from the dealer. I***8217;m planning the slotted rotors and step up the pads. This mismatch, will it affect the performance?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have a 2008 535xi. I put R1 Concepts drilled black rotors on with Hawk pads. Work great and look really nice. Bought on EBay for 550.00 installed myself in two hours.

·
USAF Pararescue Veteran
2,199 Posts
check out acute performance, or check out the vendor section at e60.net. It seems like they get good feedback from many other E60 owners on after market brake rotors and pads.

Gonna go with them later when my brakes are done too.
+1000 I have used Acute Performance a few times for my brakes on my E60s :thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts