BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2013 CPO last spring, had the rear brakes done 2 days ago and the online system is telling me that they'll last me 12,000 miles. Something wrong with that? I just did the fronts over the summer and they were something like 45,000 left.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Got a 2013 CPO last spring, had the rear brakes done 2 days ago and the online system is telling me that they'll last me 12,000 miles. Something wrong with that? I just did the fronts over the summer and they were something like 45,000 left.
Back brakes go well before the front, although when mine were done, front was reset to 50,000 and back to 25,000 --- maybe as it is a 535i and not xi ?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I may have an answer. At 28,000 miles the dealer changed out my front brakes due to warped rotors. They failed to reset the reminder so I did it when I got home. Unfortunately, I also reset the rear brake reminder too. When I reset the reminders they both reset to 32,000 miles.

Last week, when my car had 40,000 miles on the odo, my rear brakes suddenly went from 30,000 until they needed service to "service soon; 600 miles remaining". Obviously, the sensor had been hit by the rotor setting off the warning.

After changing the rear brakes, I reset the rear reminder. This time it went to 12,000 miles; this is the number of miles I traveled since mistakenly resetting the reminder. So, my thought is the car believes I am going though rear brakes every 12,000 miles. It will be interesting to see what the reminder does in 12,000 miles when in all likelihood I'll have 28,000 miles left on the pads.

Hope this helps (& makes sense).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Similar situation here. I also have 40k miles, my rear brakes suddenly went from 20k? left to 600 miles remaining. From what I can tell there is plenty of pads left. The only thing I can remember is hard braking once in the last week.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts