Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced the front 2 sensors on my 1998 540i/6 and after about an hour long drive its pulling left when braking. I was so happy about having 2 less lights on the dash then this. Is it possible the abs (asc) unit would cause this? It doesn't light up the dash or kick on the abs when it pulls. The sensors are the only thing that has changed. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Not possible. Do three hard brakes and see if that helps.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
As said above, sounds like a caliper is sticking. Remove both calipers and clean everything and put back together with lube in the appropriate locations.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
As said above, sounds like a caliper is sticking. Remove both calipers and clean everything and put back together with lube in the appropriate locations.
+1 to that.
And that should include removing the pads, cleaning the pad backing plate and the locating surfaces in the caliper bracket. Test fit to ensure the pads will slide freely in the bracket. Then lube the surfaces where the pads contact the bracket with a good quality anti-seize paste. (which is BMW procedure per TIS)

When I bought my 530, the brakes would pull/jerk to one side for an instant when applying the brakes then straighten up on its own as brake pressure was maintained. I eventually found that the pads on one side were stuck, jammed, in the caliper bracket - it took a punch and hammer to free them up. I cleaned everything up and the symptom disappeared. This despite the pads and discs being brand new when I got the car.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! It must be the sticking pads, I did the brakes 6 months ago and cleaned and lubed everywhere something moved. Pistons were free as were the pads, that was then... I mashed the crap out of the padal while stopped and the problem went away, I'm sure not fixed, I'll pull the calipers and clean and lube again! In the midst of all the joy of having abs and Trac control the ccv decided to die! Lol! Smoking on start-up, I'll get her sorted eventually.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I might have to check my own front brakes. I have never done brakes before and know nothing about it but on a long trip recently going 65 mph downhill the car was shaking slightly when applying light braking. Havent done it since but.....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry about the delay it's been too cold to play cars here. It was the pads sticking, I cleaned and lubed them all again and they're working great again! Thanks for the input guys!

Sent from my LM-V350 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
... It was the pads sticking, I cleaned and lubed them all again and they're working great again! Thanks for the input guys!

It's always great to hear when a diagnosis that seems logical is also correct.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts