BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting some light squeaking lately from the front brakes I think. Don't hear it from the rear. I checked the fronts and the pads have a lot left on them. Could it be something else ?

2005 645CI with about 50,000 miles

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Take it to the dealer. Mine had that issue on front and back and when I took it into the dealer, my SA stated that BMW issued to the dealerships a bulletin that states that they should replace these pads if the customer complains and the pads are at a certain level. You have pad left but they need to check to see it its at that point for replacement. Since you may not have warranty you may have to come up with some out pocket expense to cover but it cannot hurt to try the dealer first.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had some squeal in the front brakes too. I just drove to an empty country road and did a lot of acceleration and sudden brakes (going from 120kph down to 40kph). It heats up the brakes a lot but once they cooled off, the squeal went away.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had the same issue and mine had gotten a lot worse over the last couple months. I told my SA when I was in for some other items and they ... fixed it. I have no clue what they did because I havent gotten the paperwork yet for my last trip but they didnt bill me for whatever it was. My maintenance schedule shows about 20,000 miles left on my rears and 15,000 left on my fronts and visually I have quite a lot of pad left. I have read that its usually the sensor squealing though, and not the pads themselves.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked the pads again and the fronts have way more pad then the back. The backs are about half of what the fronts are. I thought the squeak is coming from the front but maybe I'm wrong and I have to listen again to the rears ??

·
Registered
72 Posts
Too funny. My 645 just started squeeking yesterday so I have a appointment on Saturday. I will let you know the the findings this week

·
Michael
2,516 Posts
Front brakes sqeaking

Since changing my front rotors (brake Discs) and the front pads, 2 months ago, I have had a very high pitched squeal from the brakes. Never happened before and I have stripped them down about four times to find the cause. Interesting point about the pad sensor ? not thought to check as I dont believe it was touching the disc, pads that new! I have even used BMWs own brake pad paste as I understand that copper grease is not effective enough. The only other option is that the pads are made by Jurid and I dont think BMW use them now... could this be the cause? The squeal only comes on when the brakes are warm to hot ??

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mine was doing this at 100 miles, at 4000 miles, and is still doing it at 15000 miles today. It comes and goes so it hasn't been a huge issue, but I will have the dealer look into it the next time I'm there. The other "issue" bugging me is condensation/water in one of my headlights, which the dealer says they'll just probably just replace.

·
Registered
97 Posts
From what I have been told, it is the brake pad wear sensors that cause the squeak. When they get to a certain point, they begins to squeak and will remain that way until replaced. When I have had the brakes changed, the squeak goes away but returns in about 10-15K miles. I have learned to live with it and not be too anal about little crap like that....

·
Registered
495 Posts
Mine is really bad too. Ever since I had the car, the front brakes squeel. Now im out of warranty and have to live with it. If anyone know how to fix this, please post here. its getting louder and louder and my computer says I have 10K miles left.

·
Michael
2,516 Posts
removal of sensor

You can tie back the sensor but this leads to another issue, the essence of the pad wear sensor is to protect the disc/rotors should the pads wear down to the metal, if you check regularly and replace well before you may or may not get around this issue. Personally I believe that the sensor has two wires held in a bakelite plastic shell, the only way for them to squeal is very very small as the two wires are very small in cross section ......I think the squeal is caused by other issues to which I have not found a full answer.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Do you recall what your SA did to yours? I hate to have to hose down my rear breaks every 3 days or so.
He ended up replacing the pads and sensors. He initially told me that that they inspected the pads and they were fine. He said that the problem is with the sensors. I started complaining because I didnt pay all that money for a car to be squealing prematurely. He agreed with me and ended up replacing the parts.

·
Registered
210 Posts
This is a common problem on our cars. The main problem is the brake sensors. I had plenty of pad left but the sensors were either messed up or was notifying me prematurely. Regardless, the dealer replaced the sensors and also the pads. If your still under waranty, i believe you can keep nagging them about it until they fix it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.