BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 540i and the brake pedal is firm from start of engine and takes a lot of pressure to stop. It's like their is no power brakes at all. Can anyone guide me in the right direction? No sign of ever having water in booster copartment and brake fluid level is full. Thanks for any help!

· Search, Read, THEN Ask
3,271 Posts
Bleeding is for soft brake feel. You have the opposite. Hard brake feel. Check you vacuum lines on the back of the intake or brake regulator further along.

On a side note, tell me which you prefer. At one point, I was planning to get a 750IL as well to add to my 540.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just changed the brake booster check valve and the rubber grommet it fits into on the back of the intake. After changing these parts is when the problem started. I had the old check valve disconnected and out while waiting on the new part. Could this have something to do with it???

· Search, Read, THEN Ask
3,271 Posts
I just changed the brake booster check valve and the rubber grommet it fits into on the back of the intake. After changing these parts is when the problem started. I had the old check valve disconnected and out while waiting on the new part. Could this have something to do with it???
Yes, that check valve helps boost the braking feel by using the intake vacuum.

For your edification:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake-types/power-brake1.htm

Just as a maintenance reminder, after this is resolved, you should change the brake fluid ever 2 years.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So what do you suggest I do now? I have everything put back together and there seems to be no leaks anymore. I was planning on changing brake fluid next weekend but wanted to get this resolved if it included changing master cylinder or booster so I could do it all at one time. Thanks for help!

· Search, Read, THEN Ask
3,271 Posts
So what do you suggest I do now? I have everything put back together and there seems to be no leaks anymore. I was planning on changing brake fluid next weekend but wanted to get this resolved if it included changing master cylinder or booster so I could do it all at one time. Thanks for help!
Drive your 750IL till the part arrives or put the old one back for the time being.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.