BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've searched for the last couple of hours, and it looks like I need new thrust arm bushings. 2000 528i shimmys like crazy when braking on rough pavement (sounds like the ABS tries to work, but the frequency magnifies the bouncing of the wheels, loses even more traction, and takes FOREVER to come to a stop). I think I tinkled a little (and so did the guy in front of me that was already stopped).

Is this the same thing as control arm bushings? I found a DIY on control arm bushings for the E46. Is there a DIY for E39? Can someone show me a link?

Also, has anybody else done this? Did it fix the problem? Did you do powerflex or OEM?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
OK, I've searched for the last couple of hours, and it looks like I need new thrust arm bushings. 2000 528i shimmys like crazy when braking on rough pavement (sounds like the ABS tries to work, but the frequency magnifies the bouncing of the wheels, loses even more traction, and takes FOREVER to come to a stop). I think I tinkled a little (and so did the guy in front of me that was already stopped).

Is this the same thing as control arm bushings? I found a DIY on control arm bushings for the E46. Is there a DIY for E39? Can someone show me a link?

Also, has anybody else done this? Did it fix the problem? Did you do powerflex or OEM?
Control arm failures are pretty common, You have a bushing on one end and a ball joing on the other, Assuming yours are original I would suggest you replace the entire arm with new ball joint/bushing. Take note on the brand you use, There are alot of bad brands out there i.e. ebay.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Control arm failures are pretty common, You have a bushing on one end and a ball joing on the other, Assuming yours are original I would suggest you replace the entire arm with new ball joint/bushing. Take note on the brand you use, There are alot of bad brands out there i.e. ebay.
If you just had both your control arms replaced and suddenly you experience a shimmy, albeit a slight one, when braking especially from about 45-50mph, what could be the problem? :dunno: Prior to the control arm replacement, the shimmy was not there!:bawling:

Thanks festers,..:bigpimp:

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts

I think I know what you have. Tell me if I am describing it correctly:

You do not have a "shimmy", but rather a violent uncontrolled vibrating or shaking of the whole front axle. It looks like the car will not stop, it almost like the whole front end is going to fall off the car.

The way that the ABS is working at that point, you are sure that the car would have stopped sooner, if there was no ABS at all on your car.

Correct?

mw

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
If you just had both your control arms replaced and suddenly you experience a shimmy, albeit a slight one, when braking especially from about 45-50mph, what could be the problem? :dunno: Prior to the control arm replacement, the shimmy was not there!:bawling:

Thanks festers,..:bigpimp:
You might want to open a new thread with your question. The OP of this thread djt5150, has a different problem, and to allow him to explore it in his own thread will be beneficial to him. Your question might confuse things for him, and for people who wants to answer him. ;)

mw

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts