BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just drove a brand new 2010 335i xdrive off the lot tonight. 2 miles on the car, ordered it early October. It's auto, and about 30 miles into our first drive I notice a rough shift between 2nd and 3rd on city streets. No issue at highway speeds. I can't believe it- first brand new BMW I've owned ( only CPO before) and how did this get past quality control? Please tell me that this is a break in issue? Someone? I'm devastated to have to bring this car back to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Deleted.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me all the trouble associated with one BMW model.

I wouldn't take a BMW turbo if they paid me to own one. :tsk:

·
Officially Contaminated
3,052 Posts
Did the car kind of lurch and seem like it delayed going from 2nd to 3rd? I had something similar on my 2007 (also automatic). Got a software upgrade and fixed the problem. I would think a 2010 would have that already incorperated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does lurch, and I've read in other threads about this sometimes being a software issue, but as mentioned, I would expect that a brand new car out of the factory would have everything like this sorted out.

I'm hoping I'm just overreacting and this is a break in issue, but it is so distinct versus all other gear shifts, and such a noticeable difference from the all other ways the car drives.

In any case, it's going back to the dealer today but I am interested in know if anyone else with a new 335 has experienced this?

·
Here comes trouble!
8,356 Posts
It is very normal for the transmission to shift somewhat rough on the early going. Give it 300-500 miles and it should smooth out. This is both a mechanical break-in process as well as the transmission learning your driving style and adjusting to it accordingly.

Many members have reported this before...

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
It does lurch, and I've read in other threads about this sometimes being a software issue, but as mentioned, I would expect that a brand new car out of the factory would have everything like this sorted out.

I'm hoping I'm just overreacting and this is a break in issue, but it is so distinct versus all other gear shifts, and such a noticeable difference from the all other ways the car drives.

In any case, it's going back to the dealer today but I am interested in know if anyone else with a new 335 has experienced this?
Drive it around some of downtown Boston's wonderful, smooth-paved roads and it will rattle so much you won't notice the transmission obviously breaking in. :)

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,368 Posts
Please tell me that this is a break in issue? Someone? I'm devastated to have to bring this car back to the dealer tomorrow.
Likely just a break-in issue. Same thing happened on mine - 5 miles from the BMW Welt (ED pickup), and we had some thump on mid-gear shifts that would have bothered me immensely had I not read about them before the trip.

Apparently, it's a function of the transmission "learning curve" to your driving style. Give it a few hundred miles, and it should be gone. If it isn't, back to the dealer. For now, don't worry.

Best regards,
George

·
Registered
493 Posts
It is very normal for the transmission to shift somewhat rough on the early going. Give it 300-500 miles and it should smooth out. This is both a mechanical break-in process as well as the transmission learning your driving style and adjusting to it accordingly.

+1..what he said..You can always "reset" the auto transmission shifting habits to relearn your driving style. It should sort out in a couple of hundred miles:thumbup:

·
Here comes trouble!
8,356 Posts
Patrick, you should upload some pictures to your garage. Judging from the avatar, your 530d looks fantastic!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies - I feel a bit better about things, although the wife just called to tell me it "thumped" into 3rd gear the whole way during her 1.5 hr commute through Boston traffic. I have a call into the dealer as well to hear what they have to say. We got this one from a dealer we haven't done business with before, and so far the experience has been kind of "off." There was no discussion of break-in with us when we took delivery last night although I'm aware of the different perspectives on this matter. Also, this dealer let us drive it off telling us they had already contacted our insurance agency - come to find out this morning they had not. Then again, things in New Hampshire are always a little off.

Like I said, I've only ever driven CPO 3's, previous car being '06 330xi so never been through a break-in with a 3-series...

Also, in my research never came across anyone complaining of issues with 335's. These are fantastic cars, and I've always been thrilled with the reliability. If anything, I think that expectations are so high given all the reviews of this engine that any anomaly is going to get noticed.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Strange!

My turbo charged BMW has been brilliant! No complaints at all.
There's one in every crowd. Must have been the regular crew's day off! :D

Maybe the best 335i's are being sent to Finland. I know Porsche Caymans are assembled there.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts

·
energetik9
2,361 Posts

I can confirm I experienced the same thing as I was driving back from the performance center. Lasted maybe two days at best and was a total of maybe 4 times. I attriubted it to the transmission learning my style as stated above. It has NEVER happened since and has been almost flawless.

·
energetik9
2,361 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me all the trouble associated with one BMW model.

I wouldn't take a BMW turbo if they paid me to own one. :tsk:
It's a very short term break in issue. There's nothing wrong with it. Not to mention, we're talking about the transmission. For me it was maybe two days at best and the transmission has been flawless ever since.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts