Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Whatever is cheapest/closest

Votes: 14 21.9%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering which brand of gasoline people here use. I did a search on this topic and didn't come up with anything so I thought I'd do a poll.

I've heard many say that it's all the same, but a friend of mine that used to be an exec at Tosco (now Phillips Petroleum Company) insisted that this isn't the case except for the 'small guys' who use bigger companies as their suppliers. Even then, according to him the fuel often has different additives.

So... which do you use, and what made you decide to use it? I tried to remember the bigger companies in California in the poll, sorry if I missed any.

--SONET

Edit: I forgot to include an 'other' option... I guess this could fall under the 'cheapest/closest' category. Oops!

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well... he worked for Tosco so his opinion would probably be skewed towards a Tosco brand (76 perhaps?), but I haven't ever asked. He was an executive there, not a scientist or anything of that nature.

As an aside, I must say that as a company Tosco was extremely generous to the community. I'm not sure if Phillips Petrol has followed in that tradition though.

--SONET

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I actually spent the first couple three months with my car trying different brands, and talking to friends of mine about what they use. I did a search for those posts where I discussed it but I can't find it now.

After trying all the major local brands (Shell/Texaco, Chevron, Mobil/Exxon, 76; no Arco for me, thanks), I came to the conclusion that 76 (Tosco) and Chevron provided the best, though only marginally so, performance, economy and consistency.

The only real noticeable thing was that Equilon gas (Shell/Texaco) would ALWAYS give me a little hesitation lurch every time I started off, which I took to be a bad sign.

FWIW, A friend of mine had a MB 190E 2.3-16 that would only idle correctly on 76.

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
SONET said:
As an aside, I must say that as a company Tosco was extremely generous to the community. I'm not sure if Phillips Petrol has followed in that tradition though.

--SONET
The population of the Bay Area is extremely grateful that Tosco sold their Avon refinery to Valero. Valero, unlike Tosco, has managed not to kill any of their employees in the 2 years or so they've been operating the place. I buy Valero because they're a bit cheaper than most of the others. I tend to buy Chevron if Valero isn't available.

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts

·
10,856 Posts
I use Sunoco Ultra 94 when it's hot. Pretty much anything is fine during the winter, though. 94 octane makes a very noticable difference when temperatures are above 85, or so.

Never used Chevron, though. The closest station that I've seen is impossibly far out.

Edit: I usually use Citgo or Exxon when heat is not an issue.

·
Registered
670 Posts

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Mobil. The Mobil Speedpass comes in handy too. :thumbup:

·
non sequitur
888 Posts
Chevron mostly, otherwise Shell.

I try to only use gasoline with cleaners to ease my paranoid mind. Because of the constant advertising of Chervon, I feel more inclined to choose it as the gas formulation seems newer. But in reality I have no real data to find out what which of the two is the best. :dunno:

Like most sheep, if I don't know anything, I'll pick the the product that I hear more about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
BP!

BP station, Amoco ultimate brand where available. Chevron is my second choice. Then Conoco and Exxon. I don't buy Shell. Amoco had by far the best formulated gasoline and this has survived the purchase by BP. Since ARCO is now owned by BP, wonder if their premium gas will improve even though I think they are still targeting the low cost market???

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
I buy most of my gas from Costco.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts