BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Break Dust/Fluid??? Please Help!

881 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  TJPark01
Hello,

I have a 328xi sedan. I've noticed that there is a lot of oily fluid along with break dust on all of the rims. Clean it and it comes right back after driving. Is this normal or should I be concern that break fluid is leaking?

I also have 328xi coupe, and I don't see this with the coupe. Just break dust but no oily fluid.

Any ideas?? Thanks!!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
tina8503,
My first inclination is your have a leaky caliber brake piston seal. You can easily check if that is the case by finding your brake master cylinder, open it, and see if you have a low fluid level. If you do, you probably have a leaky seal in the brake caliber piston. Just curious, but how many miles on your Bimmer? and when was the last time you had your brakes serviced? Brake caliber piston seal leaks are not something that would leak under normal wear and tear until the car has around 175-200K...or unless something has gotten into the brake fluid and damaged the piston seal. Since you say it has occurred on all wheels, i would suspect the master cylinder has been contaminated with brake dusts during some earlier serviceing on your brakes and when the brake lines were "bled" ...it got into the brake seals. Just my thoughts.

R/TxJohnSlaughter.
Check the brake fluid reservoir. If it's low you need to get this fixed ASAP. Nothing is more important than stopping. NOTHING.
Currently 92,000. The brake and all 4 tires have been replaced recently. I will bring it to the shop ASAP.

Thank you so much you guys!!!
Take it to the same place you got this done. Since you recently had the brakes worked on it may just be the antiseize or brake caliper lube excess being expelled. As long as the pedal feel is nice and firm and not soft and mushy, you should be OK. But still take it in to be 100% sure...
Currently 92,000. The brake and all 4 tires have been replaced recently. I will bring it to the shop ASAP.

Thank you so much you guys!!!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.