BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having an argument with someone in my office. They say that you should drive the hell out of the car during break-in period. I have never heard anyone say this before, is this true??

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
What does the manual say? (Hint, observe the recommended break-in procedures for the first 1,200 miles).

:thumb:

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I completely agree, but other people saying this will help my argument.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
TranceLvr said:
I am having an argument with someone in my office. They say that you should drive the hell out of the car during break-in period. I have never heard anyone say this before, is this true??
Tell them that's for American cars only, since they will most likely NOT last past 100,000 miles so BREAK-IN hard helps the car.

If you expect your car to last past 100,000 miles, might as well stick to what the manufacturers suggest.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
TranceLvr said:
I have heard some sort of school of thought that if you drive the engine hard during break-in, you get more power or something out of the engine. But downside is that the car will burn more oil during it's life. anyone else hear something like this?

But I think the majority will agree - follow the break-in rules, and your engine will last a longer and will be more trouble free.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts