BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel a little bad for joining a forum and immediately asking for help. A little background, I'm in Australia for the year and instead of buying a local cheap and easier to find parts car I went for a BMW. Always wanted a BMW so thought why not. The drive is great even if it's a automatic. However I'm having problems with the break lights. They stay on. I think I've found the issue. It's the little part that connects to the switch.it's on its last legs. Have a look...

What on earth is that part called and how do I go about looking for one? Can I replace it myself or should I just take it to a garage. I got quoted $150 (AUD) to get it done, I'm backpacking so I'm trying to find the cheapest option.

It's a 1990 318i

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
livin large
7,557 Posts
is that the plug to the brake light switch?

that shouldnt cause the lights to stay on. unless theres a short inside the plug, then yes, but it doesnt look that mangled.

·
Registered
529 Posts
As downhiller said, that plug does not look too mangled.

Make sure the metal parts are not touching each other and encase the whole assembly...except the female contacts...in an Epoxy glue.

With a Multimeter....essential item if you own an E30...test the switch itself using the Ohms setting to see if the switch itself is constantly making contact whether or not the brake is depressed or released.

It is quite common on our RHD E30s that some play develops in the brake linkeage so that when the brake pedal is released and shoots upwards...it does not come completely touch the brake switch....the RHD E30s have a bar that runs right across from the brake pedal on the right to the master cylinder on the left.

You can take up the play at the left side where the brake mechanism goes through the firewall to the brake master cylinder or what I have done is to take up the gap between the bottom of the brake pedal to the brake switch with some plastic cables ties locked into place.....the main thing is to ensure that when the brake pedal is in the released positition that you can see that the plunger of the switch is being firmly pressed in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.