BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had recently changed my brake pads, brake rotors and sensors less than a month ( < 1000 miles back). Today the service brakepads light has come on, and I tried to reset it, it does not reset. I was wondering if there is a fix to this situation, or something I am missing?

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Take off the parking brake and try it again.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The routing of the sensor's wire harness is important. I replaced my sensor with a new one and within a week it ended up rubbing against some of the caliper hardware and set off the "need pads" message.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The routing of the sensor's wire harness is important. I replaced my sensor with a new one and within a week it ended up rubbing against some of the caliper hardware and set off the "need pads" message.
^^^^ this. Common mistake is to destroy the sensor wire during routing.

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
I had recently changed my brake pads, brake rotors and sensors less than a month ( < 1000 miles back). Today the service brakepads light has come on, and I tried to reset it, it does not reset. I was wondering if there is a fix to this situation, or something I am missing?
Missing: Data

Ya'll need to get back in there, find what's wrong. Inspect....take apart....run continuity with a multimeter.

Whatcha got?

Mechanic 01 [20].jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Followup

Ok so it turns out that the independent mechanic who had replaced the sensors earlier when I got my brakes done had used aftermarket sensors and they had stopped working. I took it to the dealership which put bmw sensors in its place and the problem has been fixed. As a price comparison, the aftermarket sensors cost $35 while the ones the dealership put on cost $120 (and has a 10k mile warranty). Does everyone agree this is the normal price differential?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ok so it turns out that the independent mechanic who had replaced the sensors earlier when I got my brakes done had used aftermarket sensors and they had stopped working. I took it to the dealership which put bmw sensors in its place and the problem has been fixed. As a price comparison, the aftermarket sensors cost $35 while the ones the dealership put on cost $120 (and has a 10k mile warranty). Does everyone agree this is the normal price differential?
A dealer has like ~500% markup on small items. Genuine BMW Sensor Front/Rear at www.pelicanparts.com is ~$27-$29 and aftermarket is ~$18.00. It looks like you overpaid at both, Indy and Dealer. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
$120 for both sensor and labor sounds right for a dealer. No way does the dealer charge $120 for just the sensor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, in that case, could you recommend a place for getting tire issues serviced? I am located in Los Angeles. The dealer has charged $120 just for the sensor. Also I got the indy to refund all of the charge for the sensor and labor.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've just done my front brakes myself, all OEM parts from BMW dealers on Ebay. I bought the OEM BMW sensor at Erhard BMW in MI for approx $35.00 (part alone)
The $120 price must have the labor cost included also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts