Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
where da clutch at ?
BMW 128i Convertible E88 N52B Executive Package
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas on bad breath, so,

recently, little one has been telling me I have bad breath, I say since last cleaning (about 4 months ago),

so my teeth are fine regularly checked, also regular brush, floss, and use the tooth pick thingy, (at least 3 times a day I'm cleaning). I am drinking more coffee and (DIET) pop,

I have been on some new meds, (past year) for diabetes, which increases my urine production and causes me to get very dehydrated, sometimes wake up with a burning throat from dryness, despite drinking water b4 bed.

Is this what is causing the bad breath and anything else I can do apart from drinking more water... what about biotene, chewing gum etc ?

I've got a checkup next wednesday and I'l discuss it with dentist as well

I've always had some breath odor, wife has noted usually when I haven't eaten or eaten enough, I put this down to my blood sugar, usually goes away with food.

BTW, the smell, is a bad odor, not acetone breath (nail polish remover), related to ketoacidosis,

anyway to check yourself how your breath smells LOL

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,477 Posts
Water is certainly important, particularly for diabetics. I drink about a gallon, 128 ounces, per day. Already two full 12 oz water glasses and three 10 oz. mugs of coffee. ETA: Just up from breakfast with 12 ounces of water with my oatmeal and another 12 ounces with psyllium.

In a month when I start bicycling a lot, working up to 25 miles two hours per day, I'll practice p-1 drink-one.

I also take a triple dose of psyllium fiber, partly because it absorbs huge volumes of water for slow release as it reaches the LLI.

Mouth moisture, Oropharyngeal moisture is important for everyone as it helps transport disease fighters forward in the nose and then back into the esophagus.

Dental health is more than pearly whites and tight pink gums. Learn about Helicobacter pylori and its involvement with heart disease and disease in general. I smoked through college and the navy with already bad teeth. My health improved greatly when I gave up my teeth.

The best mouth wash is also a tooth whitener - hydrogen peroxide pharmaceutical 3%. Sodium bicarbonate is a good gentle abrasive and strong enough alkaline for good oral health.

I taught my offspring to never refuse an offered breath mint, the kind soul may have multiple motives.

Finally, there is this; Clinical Assessment of Bad Breath: Current Concepts by Mel Rosenberg, PhD https://jada.ada.org/article/S0002-8177(15)61395-2/pdf. Sci-Hub.tw cracks the paywall.

·
where da clutch at ?
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow, I'm not drinking enough water then, OK so a lot of food does contain water, I'm mainly on the diet pops and coffee,
the new drug make me pee like a race horse, especially if I over do the carbs.
I'm loosing weight, with minimal exercise, due to the sugar not storing as fat.

again only recently , been mentioned, I also figured there was a problem , as when at work,colleges tend to lean back when you talk to them.

I'm gonna try and up the water game, before y next appointment though

Funny, 8 cups of coffee before lunchtime are dooable
but try drinking 2 cups of water during the day and thats hard LOL

·
Nuclear engineer
17,477 Posts
The best self-test for halitosis that I found recommended is to scrape the back of the tongue and soft palate with a plastic spoon***8217;s sharp edge and sniff the drying scrapings. Licking the back of one***8217;s hand and sniffing the ***8216;saliva***8217; as it dries apparently causes over estimation of the odor.

And there are objective measurements of sulfurous chemicals in the mouth.

·
where da clutch at ?
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh cool I'll try that Doug,

·
The King of Common Sense
2,142 Posts
Poop is suppose to come out the other end. That's your problem. Poop more. :rofl:

·
Nuclear engineer
17,477 Posts
Poop is suppose to come out the other end. That's your problem. Poop more.
That’s what psyllium husk is for. High fiber diet for cholesterol prevention / minimizing, huge regular soft stool cushion. Prevents diverticula.

We have an old retired PhD geneticist and paleoanthropologist that is waay interested in genomes and microbiomes, and that has associated particular personal microbiomes with particularly good health and longevity. Just now there are advertisements for poop donors whose microbiome is to be analyzed for beneficial components - to be included in pills.

·
Uniquely desultory
7,558 Posts
I've always thought that bad breath had more going on than less than clean teeth. That air has been in your lungs and has been in close proximity with mucus membranes, etc. Diet and incomplete digestion are more at fault methinks. I generally try to practice the food combining principles laid out by Herbert Shelton years ago. Numerous people have expanded on his work, such as the authors of Fit for Life. Seems to help.

As for checking your own breath, that's a tough one. The olfactory sense fatigues quickly. That's why some women wear so much perfume it gags the rest of us while they think it's fine.

·
where da clutch at ?
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:thumbup::thumbup:

I've always thought that bad breath had more going on than less than clean teeth. That air has been in your lungs and has been in close proximity with mucus membranes, etc. Diet and incomplete digestion are more at fault methinks. I generally try to practice the food combining principles laid out by Herbert Shelton years ago. Numerous people have expanded on his work, such as the authors of Fit for Life. Seems to help.

As for checking your own breath, that's a tough one. The olfactory sense fatigues quickly. That's why some women wear so much perfume it gags the rest of us while they think it's fine.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
I've noticed in the last few months I'm peeing more and it's yellower - my breath is also a struggle to keep fresh, and I know for sure I don't drink enough water... oh boy, MORE trips to the bathroom.. :(

·
Nuclear engineer
17,477 Posts

·
where da clutch at ?
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Certain vit b in b complex, tablets I take make my pee very bright yellow, not sure if its b6

If your water intake hasn't increased and going to the w/rm is something I'd run past a GP.

In my case (many years ago) excessive and late night pee'ing was a symptom of my un-treated diabetes, mind you the pee , was clear, as it was literally sugar and water coming out, and for me it was like a litre at a time. Dehydrated and being knackered also oh and un quenchable thirst

I've noticed in the last few months I'm peeing more and it's yellower - my breath is also a struggle to keep fresh, and I know for sure I don't drink enough water... oh boy, MORE trips to the bathroom.. :(

·
Nuclear engineer
17,477 Posts
Certain vit b in b complex, tablets I take make my pee very bright yellow, not sure if its b6
B2 riboflavin in B-complex compounds. We usually already have adequate riboflavin so the supplement is excess, water soluble and yellow.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
we are taking more vitamins... hmm... and don't get me started on the probiotics Mrs wyb just got us started on - I told her, you gave me the pills, don't complain about the resulting noxious gaseous emissions...

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
and probiotics + beer seem to result in about a 10x increase in gas - or so I've found. She said that will calm down as our bodies get used to the "bug pills" as I call them - we'll see after today's visit to a brewery tasting room I guess... ;)

·
Nuclear engineer
17,477 Posts
That's bad beer not bad food. Heaven knows what is being called probiotic. Beer is fermented and should be a good probiotic source but only if it is cloudy chunky real beeer and not that filtered pale watered down piswater.

I loove fermented foods, foods are fermented with 'probiotic' microorganisms. Homemade sauerkraut! Homemade yougurt / clabber / buttermilk. Kimchi, eeh. Soy sauce shoyu!! Wisconsin is world's largest producer of soy sauce. Kikkoman's home is Watertown, Wisconsin. Miso and soy sauce are also great source of umami flavor as from monosodium glutamate.

I wonder if they are confusing Fecal microbiota transplant, used to treat and prevent Clostridium difficile infection that is becoming very common.

·
where da clutch at ?
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
riboflavin... ya that was it, I had a b12 def, due to metformin, I started taking b100 complex, havent had any problems and the b12 def. went away

fun fact !
Asparagus, makes your pee smell and it's very yummy, I mean eating the asparagus not drinking the pee LOL

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Take a deep breath - don't exhale ;-)

:rofl:

Halitosis is better than no breath at all ;-)

:stickpoke

·
where da clutch at ?
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
J/K

Army guy's in a survival training and the Sargent says to the guy's about being stuck in a dessert or other such place where there is no water
and discusses about why you shouldnt be drinking pee and about to move on to the next point when
one of the recruits raises his hand a little confused and asks "well sarg what about drinking my own pee" BA DOOOM ! :)

The Sargent goes on to roast the young recruit yelling "SARG, BLOODY SARGE" its "SAR GEN T"

"There's only 2 SARG's in the army a "SOS ARGE" and a "MASS ARGE" and if you MASSAGE the SAUSAGE your calling me
a WANKER and I'll ram this baton up you BACK PASS ARGE"

LOL

·
Nuclear engineer
17,477 Posts
Halitosis is better than no breath at all
No breath, that’s Haole in Hawai’ian and quite rassis. Anglo round-eyes do not hongi, honi, share life-breath as Polynesians do.

I was well taught by my first serious love interest, a Tahitian Princess.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts