Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a New G01 X3 M sport 3L, only just 10 months old, its just under 12000 miles and the outer edges of the tyres (245/45/r20) on the front of the car are wearing and almost bald, whilst the other 75% of the tyre is like new. The rear tyres are wearing very well and evenly.
The car has been checked twice at BMW and their report shows that the car is set perfectly and their tolerances are perfect, therefore showing no fault. I have 4 new BMW's previously and never had this issue, only on this vehicle. Anyone else had this issue? Could the tyres be faulty or do they just wear unevenly?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have 11,500 miles on my M40i and my front tires are the same. Almost bald on the outer edge, but the rest of the tires have at least 60%+ tread remaining.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Tappy, what wheel type/size setting (in menu) and tire pressures are you using?
(They gave us the Pirelli P Zero and looks fine at 7k miles. Set to a little higher than their number for that rim/size.)

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
We have a X3 30i with non-RFT, all-season 245/50-19's I recently rotated the tires for the second time and measured the tread depths with a digital depth gauge. After 10k miles, they're wearing almost perfectly even, an average of 1.3 32nds inch. I've been running them at two PSI over the door jamb decal pressures, measured when the car is cold in the early morning.

SUV's are heavy. That eats tires. They also have a high center of mass. That transfers the weigh more than on a car with a lower center of mass. So the outside tires in a fast turn take a beating. RFT's also concentrate wear on the edges. All this is the perfect storm for eating tires.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Really sounds like an alignment issue. I know BMW checked it twice, but the wear you are experiencing is just not normal. Consider taking the X3 to an indy shop for a check of the alignment.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,997 Posts
BMW ***8216;checks***8217; alignment to be within extreme specifications. The extremes positive and negative have vastly different effects. YOU must understand those effects and the effect that you demand from your alignment numbers - and tell the mechanic what numbers you want.

Mine X5 is aligned to 0.02° toe-in all around; as close to zero without risk of toe-out as possible - for minimum squirm scrub. The camber is checked to middle of the allowable range and balanced left and right.

Reactions: Robx4

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a New G01 X3 M sport 3L, only just 10 months old, its just under 12000 miles and the outer edges of the tyres (245/45/r20) on the front of the car are wearing and almost bald, whilst the other 75% of the tyre is like new. The rear tyres are wearing very well and evenly.
The car has been checked twice at BMW and their report shows that the car is set perfectly and their tolerances are perfect, therefore showing no fault. I have 4 new BMW's previously and never had this issue, only on this vehicle. Anyone else had this issue? Could the tyres be faulty or do they just wear unevenly?
Exact same problem same tyre on X4. Both sides.... If it was roundabouts it would only be one side... In au that would be passenger side but both are totally worn

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
Edge wear is caused by toe misalignment. Outer edge wear would be from excessive toe-in.

One wheel having excessive toe will wear the edges on both tires on that axle. That's because the car will "crab" to one side until the effective toe for each tire is the same for rear toe misalignment. For front toe misalignment, the driver will turn the wheel to point the car in the direction he wants to go, until the toe on both front tires are equal (but excessive)..

If you're getting edge wear with supposedly good alignment spec's, it could be damage to suspension components. If a rubber bushing is torn, the car will look fine on the alignment rack but flex out of alignment when in motion. Bad tie rod ends can also move the toe around when driving.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
My car was fine for years until I moved to a hilly area, then started to get accelerated wear on the outer front tires.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
My car was fine for years until I moved to a hilly area, then started to get accelerated wear on the outer front tires.
There's no plausible explanation for hills causing edge wear. A plausible explanation is that you hit a curb or pothole near the time you moved to a hilly area.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There's no plausible explanation for hills causing edge wear. A plausible explanation is that you hit a curb or pothole near the time you moved to a hilly area.
On all 3 of my cars?? I don't think so.

In my mind, it is due to the increase front load on the tires when taking turns going downhill.

I drove all my cars hard before and after the move to a hilly/mountainous neighborhood. I monitor my tread depth every month on all my cars. It's the only explanation I could come up with.

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
On all 3 of my cars?? I don't think so.

In my mind, it is due to the increase front load on the tires when taking turns going downhill.

I drove all my cars hard before and after the move to a hilly/mountainous neighborhood. I monitor my tread depth every month on all my cars. It's the only explanation I could come up with.
Maybe you're just enjoying the more interesting roads now. Hills and curves go together.

Where I live, the roads are straight and flat. The only time things get interesting is when I'm hustling through an intersection to beat a yellow light and turning. My left turns are faster, since they're a larger turning radius. Here's the tread depth and wear data from the last 6k-mile rotation stint on my FWD Chevy Cobalt SS. There's some uncertainty in the data, since the previous measurements were done with a mechanical depth gauge and "eyeballed" to the nearest 1/4 of 1/32 inch. But, the front tires are getting hammered, and the outside of the right front more than elsewhere, indicative of fast left turns. The back tires are just along for the ride.

The wear is fairly even across the tires, on average, because I've goosed up the pressure a lot. These are Continental DW's. The door decal calls for 35 PSI front and rear. But, I was running 44 PSI to achieve this roughly even average wear (across the four channels). Four the current rotation stint, I back down to 42 PSI, after having evened out the tread depths. Because of the high pressures, I'm getting more wear on the outer half of the front tires, not on the outside edges of the front tires.

These DW's are summer, high-performance tires with a 300 DOT Treadwear Rating. But, on this light car they still have an average of ~6/32 inch of tread left after 28k miles. This was my business travel car. But, I'm retired now and don't drive it much and generally only around town. So, proportionally more of the miles on the tires now are "abusive" miles. So, I'm accumulating more wear on the outer halves of the tires more now. The tires are seven years old, so they're due for replacement due to age. I'm driving so little during the lockdown-smackdown that I figure I might as well do my driving in a better car (535i).

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts