BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2001 BMW 330 ci with 156,000 miles and it is slowly dying! There so many little problems that are starting to build up but unfortunately I am a college student and can not afford to fix these problems so I am force to seek help from everyone! So here's whats happening in my car.

1. Clutch is going out ( big expense I'm slowly saving)

2. Low water light keeps coming on ( maybe a crack in my expansion tank but it was just
replace not OEM)

3.a clicking sound down by the clutch pedal( only happeneds when I compress the clutch all the way down.

4. Tail light when out ( but I suspect a fuse problem)

5.a leak in my power steering ( I have to fill it once every month - month and a half and it's dark red!)

6. Bouncing revs !?!?!? when in neutral or at a stop light the revs will bounce around from 1200-800 some times so low it stalls out. But rarely rarely. This hole thing happeneds every 2 months or so. ( this one scares me the most)

7.driver side night time light won't come on about 50 percent of the time. Some times if I turn on and off the lights rapidly a few times it turns on (but I don't like to do that)

8. Also when I went in reverse my mirrors would always angle down ust the other day that stopped but I can still move my mirrors they just don't do it automatically anymore

9. My rag top when out as well when I press the button the light turns red but nothing happens

10. Last and not least battery/ alternator sometimes if I turn off my car and listen to music for more then 15 minutes my car will die. I'll turn the ignition and It just clicks. I have to pull out the keys wait 2 minutes the start it up in which it struggles to start. Although when I start up after all night it starts fine.

If anyone on this form has some possible answers I could use any help sense most of the repairs I'll be doing myself or hopefully with some of my Mechanic friends.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Number 6 is probably the VANOS. Need to do the Beisan seals DIY. Number 4 could possibly be the insufficient ground issue. Check the brown wire in the tail light assembly and see if it's burnt. This was covered in TSB 63 03 06 and an easy DIY.

·
Coconut Pete's paella!
5,216 Posts
1. Clutch is going out ( big expense I'm slowly saving)
- what else do you want to know?

2. Low water light keeps coming on ( maybe a crack in my expansion tank but it was just
replace not OEM)
- You have a leak. Remove the belly shield and crawl under there with a flashlight. We can't diagnose it from across the internet

3.a clicking sound down by the clutch pedal( only happeneds when I compress the clutch all the way down.
- Have you checked for obstructions down there? Does the noise come from the pedal itself or does it feel/sound like it's coming from the transmission?

4. Tail light when out ( but I suspect a fuse problem)
- Well ....... are any fuses blown?

5.a leak in my power steering ( I have to fill it once every month - month and a half and it's dark red!)
- Again ..... get in there w/ a flashlight - could be a number of things. Or post a pic!!

6. Bouncing revs !?!?!? when in neutral or at a stop light the revs will bounce around from 1200-800 some times so low it stalls out. But rarely rarely. This hole thing happeneds every 2 months or so. ( this one scares me the most)
- Type "VANOS" into the search function.

7.driver side night time light won't come on about 50 percent of the time. Some times if I turn on and off the lights rapidly a few times it turns on (but I don't like to do that)
- Do you mean headlight? Do you have xenon or halogen?

8. Also when I went in reverse my mirrors would always angle down ust the other day that stopped but I can still move my mirrors they just don't do it automatically anymore
- Push the control back to the drivers side, ti won't work if you leave it on the passenger one.

9. My rag top when out as well when I press the button the light turns red but nothing happens
Can you explain this in more detail? "When out" - is there a problem that only occurs sometimes?

10. Last and not least battery/ alternator sometimes if I turn off my car and listen to music for more then 15 minutes my car will die. I'll turn the ignition and It just clicks. I have to pull out the keys wait 2 minutes the start it up in which it struggles to start. Although when I start up after all night it starts fine.
- Is it the original battery? Your car is getting old, might be time for a battery. Have you had your battery tested?

If anyone on this form has some possible answers I could use any help sense most of the repairs I'll be doing myself or hopefully with some of my Mechanic friends.[/QUOTE]

You may also want to correct your vehicle info. BMW didn't make the "infamous" ZHP until 2003.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Possible answers for #9 - I'm guessing you are new so there are some non-mechanical reasons the top won't move, such as: trunk popped (but not necessarily all the way open); inside trunk storage hideaway unit not in down position; sometimes just turn the key off, then back on to "reset" things. John

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
for #5) Power steering fluid, and I'm surprised no one mentioned this. it's supposed to be red! BMW power steering systems use ATF (Automatic Transmission) Fluid, the cap says "ATF only." If you are adding standard power steering fluid, FLUSH the system asap and refill with the proper fluid before damage occurs.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
There is only one answer to broke and college student: DIY! Been there done that...

·
Registered
24 Posts
#6, the bouncing revs.

I recently had this problem as well until my car refused to start all together. Turns out it was a dying and then dead fuel pump. Since replacing the pump, my car's ran smoother than ever and the problem has never resurfaced.

Originally I suspected the VANOS as well, so I never thought to test the fuel pressure. Might be something you'd like to check into?

·
Paraglide! Walk on air!
1,260 Posts
OP, your forum status, on the top right corner of the page, says you have a 2001 330ci ZHP. :confused:
Do you know that the ZHP (Performance) package was not available until 2003 in sedans and 2004 in coupes?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
2 - 3 hundred bucks and a weekend in your parent's garage will do miracles. You can take care of 2, 4 & 6. #8 is actually a feature. There is a small button that has left / right position next to the mirror adjustment button. It controls the mirror's auto angling on reverse function. You probably accidentally set it to the off position.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.