BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most people have a love/hate relationship with BMW's drive-by-wire technology. In this case, it's a strong hate. I was at a gas station and my 650 was in "park" and I tried shifting into "reverse" and "drive" and nothing happened. I tried restarting the car and I had no luck, my baby was unmovable. I finally succumbed to calling BMW Assist after attempts of trying to fix the problem. They immediately suggested having a tow right away, which angered me since I had to get a tow back in early July due to a "steering malfunction" that resulted in getting a new power steering hose since the previous one was found to be busted. So yeah, two tows in one month, and once again my baby is sitting in the service lot at my local BMW dealership. Does anyone have a clue on why you think my gear shifter is not working? The tow truck driver said he's seen the problem in BMW's, Benz's, and the such that use the unconventional electronic gear shifter.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Sorry to hear of your issues.

Just for comparison, my in-laws have a minivan that uses the old cable and ball end, they must have gotten a bit forceful and the ball end broke off at the transmission side. I ended up fixing it with some utility wire, zip ties, and such. Expecially since a new line would have been a big expense to replace.

I guess my point is the old method has failures also? Difference is the mechanical methods can be more easily repaired on your own, although with a 2008 you should still be under warranty so I would have it at the dealer no matter what.

Good luck, looking forward to the dealer's diagnosis.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.