BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
I saw it in a recent 5th Gear episode, and fell in love. What a cool little car: Gordan Murray design (LLC Rocket), 60's F1 looks, and an awsome sounding Cosworth inline-4. If I were in the market for a weekend open-wheeler, I'd take this over the Ariel Atom or the Caterham CSR. Hope they bring it to the US.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Well they sell the Ariel Atom and several Caterhams here (as kit cars I assume), and the Caterham CSR has the same Cosworth engine, so it shouldn't be too hard.

The problem is the market for these cars is quite small here, and there already are a few cars on sale in this segment.

EDIT: Just noticed the price is in GBP, thought it was in EURO - way too expensive...

·
Registered
650 Posts
armaq said:
Well they sell the Ariel Atom and several Caterhams here (as kit cars I assume), and the Caterham CSR has the same Cosworth engine, so it shouldn't be too hard.

The problem is the market for these cars is quite small here, and there already are a few cars on sale in this segment.

EDIT: Just noticed the price is in GBP, thought it was in EURO - way too expensive...
Is the Atom available in the states now? Last I heard it was still illegal.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
The August Car and Driver magazine had a cool article about the "Locost" sports car... essentially a true kit car based on the Lotus 7.

If one is so inclined to actually build a car, that's an interesting way to go. One guy built the whole thing for about $2500, using a 318i as a donor. The other end of the spectrum was about $10k, with Miata components and other high quality pieces. There were a couple of interesting ones too, including one using a CBR 900 motor that was really light.

Anyway, it's another way to get your fix for a car like this.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
A buddy at work has the book that was published on building the Locost 7. I borrowed it and it is very tempting to just try it, given how cheap most of the parts are. You have to make some adjustments because the original is written for the UK (wrong side drive and a cheap motor/trans we don't get over here). I just fear I'd have the eternal incomplete chassis in my garage until the end of time.

If you have any interest in a Locost at all, buy that book.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts