BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those who have fixed bucket seats, what are your setups?

A bottom mount is costly so I decided to fit the side mounts on this 3mm steel plate but it's kind of heavy. :dunno:

Is 3mm thick steel enough?
Is this setup good or bad?
What's the best option to fit the seats?

All opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
12,956 Posts
Before we get into the strength of the sheet metal you're using, I think you're going to find you have a lot of flex in it, and you'll find the seat tends to rock a lot when you're on track.

A better approach might be to use two separate, thicker pieces, one spanning the front mounting holes, and one spanning the rear. You could double or triple the thickness of the plates and still be about the same or even possibly less weight than the large single sheet. You could probably use 1/4" thick aluminum, and be stiffer, stronger, and lighter.

Which ever you decide to use, make certain you use the largest flat washers that will fit to spread the load around the fastening points. The harness will take the force of a frontal impact, but the seats need to withstand anything on the side or if you go into a wall backwards (fairly common occurrence). See the video for an example. (This is also why I'm hesitant to instruct.)

https://youtu.be/8Ye72Fg2xjs

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before we get into the strength of the sheet metal you're using, I think you're going to find you have a lot of flex in it, and you'll find the seat tends to rock a lot when you're on track.

A better approach might be to use two separate, thicker pieces, one spanning the front mounting holes, and one spanning the rear. You could double or triple the thickness of the plates and still be about the same or even possibly less weight than the large single sheet. You could probably use 1/4" thick aluminum, and be stiffer, stronger, and lighter.

Which ever you decide to use, make certain you use the largest flat washers that will fit to spread the load around the fastening points. The harness will take the force of a frontal impact, but the seats need to withstand anything on the side or if you go into a wall backwards (fairly common occurrence). See the video for an example. (This is also why I'm hesitant to instruct.)

https://youtu.be/8Ye72Fg2xjs
Thank you for your time to help out.

So if I understand you correctly I can get 4 pieces of 5mm steel bars (or maybe 6mm aluminium bars) and place them something like the picture I posted now. As for washers are 3 or 4mm thick steel washers enough along with a 12.9 Tensile bolt? Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.