BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering an ED itinerary from Munich, to Budapest, and on to Kosice, Slovakia. Perhaps late October. Any advice on the quality of roads? Any concerns about weather that time of year? Google maps trip directions note toll roads on several stretches. How expensive are the tolls?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I can answer some, but not all, of your questions:

• It is all Autobahn and Motorway. The "A" roads in Germany and Austria are superb. I do not have much experience with the "M" roads in Hungary or any with Rt. 3 in Slovakia.
  • Driving times: Munich - Budapest: 6.33 hr. (Fairly accurate in my opinion, but not including gas stops or lunch.) Budapest - Kosice: 3.25 hrs. (Accuracy unknown.)
  • Weather in central Europe at that time is changeable. Search for past reviews of October weather to get a feel for the range of answers.

(Consider stopping in Eger to see the castle and try the wine.)

PS: If you use viamichelin instead of googlemaps, you can get exact toll and vignette info.

·
The One who Drives.
880 Posts
During my 09 ED I went to Budapest and I have to report that highways in Hungary are way better than I expected. Wide, even and Hungarians drive quite fast there. The vignettes are easy to purchase (I did that at the first gas station after crossing the border). If you need hotel recommendations there, let me know. And here is my blog entry on Budapest

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.