Bimmerfest BMW banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
So all of you guys are working with the 3.0i or 3.0si it looks like. I was told theres not much you can do with the 2.5i. Any ideas or is it not worth trying lol

·
Registered
651 Posts
I think you did well for yours!
Thanks - the video doesn't really do it justice. It's a nice mod for not much money. Performance wasn't the goal, so I couldn't see the point in paying a lot for a big name system, and then possibly not be happy with the result. I'd pretty much be stuck with it as it's a very small market here.

·
Registered
651 Posts
So all of you guys are working with the 3.0i or 3.0si it looks like. I was told theres not much you can do with the 2.5i. Any ideas or is it not worth trying lol
Check out this video - 2.5i with exhaust mods.
I had to laugh when he dropped it down a gear to give it some noise, and the dog turned and looked at him as if to say 'sweeet'
As the title says, he has removed the resonators and added a Dinan airbox.
Sounds good to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoW7tDNBVT8

·
Registered
254 Posts
Check out this video - 2.5i with exhaust mods.
I had to laugh when he dropped it down a gear to give it some noise, and the dog turned and looked at him as if to say 'sweeet'
As the title says, he has removed the resonators and added a Dinan airbox.
Sounds good to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoW7tDNBVT8
Thanks. Im not really sure where you found that video because I've searched everywhere for videos haha. Yeah it doesn't give much extra, so its probably not really too worth it. Definitely sounds better but probably not enough for me to do that.

·
Skeep
111 Posts
Still in Progress on the muffler thing.

Ok so I've been busy with things and waiting on my mechanic, still. Some of you probably thought I'd fallen off the end of the world I'm sure.

I purchased Jons muffler, and it looks fine in the trunk but I'm looking forward to seeing it on the underside of my wife's Z4.

My racing mechanic is attending to a declining Mom of 94 so his work schedule has been thrown into chaos. As soon as he surfaces he will install Jon's muffler. I will certainly comment once this is done.

This has turned out to be quite a journey, but am at least enroute!

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you want a low cost mod to increase sound, you can go to a custom muffler shop and have them cut out your rear resonator. I did this on my 04 Z4 and it gave me a deep sound without being too loud.

I currently own an 07 Z4M and I just installed Supersprint Race mufflers. It sounds very deep like a Ferrari, but not too loud. I can't stop grinning. And, contrary to what someone else said on a previous post, you don't have to buy the $600 X pipe with the Supersprint. That is an option if you want it too be louder since it removes the rear resonator. In my opinion, this would be too loud with this muffler.

·
Registered
651 Posts
If you want a low cost mod to increase sound, you can go to a custom muffler shop and have them cut out your rear resonator. I did this on my 04 Z4 and it gave me a deep sound without being too loud.
Do you mean they cut out the rear muffler? That's what they did to mine, and I'm pleased with the result.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Eisenmann

Thanks DC for the comments and the link. Wonder if anyone has purchased the Eisenmann product and commented? I'd be a bit wary of ordering from overseas for that kind of product just due to the proliferation of so many products in the USA in contrast.

I'm going to stay on the search. Even my wife told me she thinks the Z4 sounds like a sewing machine...after owning it for eight years, although she loves the speed and handling, she'd like a bit more exterior growl too.
I bought the Eisenmann for my '07 3.0si. They make two; I got the quiet of the two, and it it's still louder than stock. Good throaty sound. Got it from a place in AZ (Vivid).

·
Registered
802 Posts
For anyone in eastern MA, I'd recommend a trip to Lou's Custom Exhausts in Stoughton MA. Right on route 27. Don't go to one of their other locations as the Stoughton one does the best work from what I understand. You'll be totally underwhelmed at their location/facility but they will work with you to create a custom exhaust that meets your needs and install it perfectly and at a reasonable price. They can pretty much get you whatever setup you want.

·
edwdmtck
8 Posts
Removed rear muffler. Not as loud as I thought it would be and sounds pretty good, though I did set off a car alarm making a right turn pulling hard at low rpm in 3rd, so it is very deep and presumably projects some vibrations outward, but not in the cabin. I thought there would be drone, but I think leaving the resonator in helps. Despite the car alarm incident, my girlfriend doesn't think it's too loud and we can have a conversation top up or down.

Most cost effective option for me, as I spent my "exhaust budget" fixing problems ignored by previous owner.

Car alarm: I think this also had to do with city living and the sound bouncing off of a "canyon" of stone and brick apartment buildings and churches...

·
edwdmtck
8 Posts
Not bad. With headphones or decent external speakers, this is essentially what mine sounds like after rear muffler delete. I think it's the right amount of sound for a roadster.

·
Skeep
111 Posts
Inching towards Resolution on the Muffler Fix LOL

Whew, it's been a few months since I've been on here, had a major Funeral for my 94 yr old military retiree father, full honors Arlington VA. Now on to completing business for the Z4.

Perhaps today, as the "long referred to" mechanic I mentioned several months back will get the opportunity to put on Z4Jon's muffler package I bought from Jon these many months back.

It's great to see the Z4 coming to an end however, I have a lot of pride in this period vehicle even more now that it is going to be discontinued! Love the Z4 without a doubt.

So, will report back, and hope to stick a GoPro vid on this thing to validate the transition.

Will keep this thread in mind and return with some information of satisfaction. I yearn to not hear the sewing machine sound anymore.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Whew, it's been a few months since I've been on here, had a major Funeral for my 94 yr old military retiree father, full honors Arlington VA. Now on to completing business for the Z4.

Perhaps today, as the "long referred to" mechanic I mentioned several months back will get the opportunity to put on Z4Jon's muffler package I bought from Jon these many months back.

It's great to see the Z4 coming to an end however, I have a lot of pride in this period vehicle even more now that it is going to be discontinued! Love the Z4 without a doubt.

So, will report back, and hope to stick a GoPro vid on this thing to validate the transition.

Will keep this thread in mind and return with some information of satisfaction. I yearn to not hear the sewing machine sound anymore.
sorry to hear about your father, but 94 is a pretty good innings :thumbup:. I hope it was a good send off.
Good luck with the mod, but the videos never seem to do it justice (my youtube vid doesn't really capture the full effect, but it's good enough). It will definitely kill the sewing machine :D

·
Skeep
111 Posts
OK so finally got Jon's muffler where it needs to be, on my wife's car!

Bottom line--we like it! Good breathing sound, very bassey throat, and no drone on the freeway at all. Good after shift sounds, good sounds when opening up the gears and great gurgle coming down. We like it lots. It could be louder but it works just fine we think.

Took it to BMW Service writer who cares for our 2 BMWs and he had a mechanic look over the product (Magnaflow 11379) and fitment and declared, yup we can. They installed it. Also had to get a couple of rear runflats but that was our routine maintenance. Very impressed with the Dealership and the product Jon sent.

Thanks Jon!

Photos and video to follow....

·
Skeep
111 Posts
Thank you Jon,
BMW was impressed with the price you gave me too! They did a great job refitting into the huge hole where the other "suitcase sized muffler" had been. It has just the right amount of rumble, and wife says it is spot on! Guys at BMW said that if I wanted to increase the sound they could go further and take out the resonators. I don't think that'll be necessary for her but I think it might be an option for the future if we need more racket! This sound is very akin to my Valkyrie remanufactured pipes by HorseApple.com in Colorado--sound is labeled "Trombones." Love it. Thanks for the deal!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Skeep, do you have some pictures? What muffler (and other parts) you finally used? I am considering some mods and would like some ideas :)

·
Skeep
111 Posts
Hi Skeep, do you have some pictures? What muffler (and other parts) you finally used? I am considering some mods and would like some ideas :)
Look up in the thread to 3-18-16 where Jon posted the photos of the muffler he sold me. I have that same muffler on my 3.0si but have not posted any photos yet. I will when I have them ready and when I have the video ready. But, it is pretty much identical a fitment as Jon had and sold to me. Hope this helps!

·
Skeep
111 Posts
Yes, well keep reading, because sometimes the fitment from Magnaflow is not real precise itself. I do realize the pipes may be different however. But read about the site as I think some 2.5 vehicles have some possible soloutions. Keep hope alive!

Here is the Magnaflow installation I got my local BMW mechanics to put together underneath the car. We're extremely limited on european car garages that like to do this. Most of the stuff in our locale is for F150s and/or NASCAR type things, so, local shop got the job. The tips are a bit uneven but I'm pleased with the sound, not over the top, but lots of growl and grumbling the vehicle could not get out before.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts