Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything that is good for cleaning bugs off bumpers and headlights? I did a search and have tried everything there with limited success. I hate to use anything that will strip the wax.

·
5,820 Posts
richard said:
Is there anything that is good for cleaning bugs off bumpers and headlights? I did a search and have tried everything there with limited success. I hate to use anything that will strip the wax.
You may have to. How long could it take to rewax the bumper?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I bought some really cheap (like 2 dollars for a half dozen) nylon wrapped sponges at my marina. They are made for washing boats, and not damage the gel-coat, but they work pretty good on my cars without removing the wax.

They don't last a long time (5-6 uses) but they don't cost much either

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
For the plastic headlight cover, try Plexus Plastic Cleaner first.

If that won't get it done, try Meguiars #10 and #17

·
Revelation 10:7
1,012 Posts
For the headlights, you can use a Plastic Polish followed up with Plexus. This will make them look great.

For the bumper, you can try a bug sponge which can be purchased at any AutoParts store. You can also use something like a Cleaner Wax, such as the Zymol that is available at WalMart.

I have found that by washing with Dawn, Claybarring and then using Zaino, the bugs come completely off the car.

I would imagine doing the same process with the wax of your choice would make maintaining your car much easier.

Another thing that really helps is a Detail Spray. Examples include Meguiars Qwik Detailer, Griots SpeedShine and Zaino Z6.

It just really depends on how much time you want to spend with the car. The fastest way would be to wash the car, use Bug and Tar remover to get the bugs off the bumper and then wax the bumper. Once the car is washed, it shouldn't take half an hour to do the rest.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The best stuff I found for bug and tar is the complete wash by P21S. This stuff is made in Germany for German cars so it is designed with the finish on our BMWs in mind . The stuff is great and does not strip the wax off. I have had some tree sap on my hood that I could not get off and this stuff just took it out.Try www.aandmmotorsport.com.They have a car care section that is good and if you have any questionssend them an e-mail and their tech guys are quick to answer

·
Registered
590 Posts
richard said:
Bugs and bird doo (especially) tend to eat through the wax right away, requring a re-waxing once you clean the area. Polymer stands up to this a bit better....

Bottom line is that if you need something special to remove the "debris" then you'll likely need to re-wax. If you can just wipe it off, you're probably ok.

--gary

·
fahrer
1,387 Posts
Yup - a hot towel.

When I get back from a long ride, I do a trick a friend told me about.

Go soak a cotton towel in hot water and then drape it over the
front of the bike (bikes are even more of a bug magnet!), let
sit. By the time the towel cools off, you can just wipe the bugs
right off! No work, no rubbing, no grinding killer bees into the
finish!

:thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts