BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today's the day people. :):(:eek::yikes::thumbup::dunno::cry::tsk:;)

All sorts of emotions last night as I emptied out the 2016 G12 (aka 750i xDrive) and will now make my 2018 i3s home for the next 3 years till the i4 iVision or whatever it will be called comes out. Or maybe if they make the i8 all electric, I'll get that.

But for now, after owning 5 7'ers for the past 19 years, it's BUH BUH BYE.

https://youtu.be/Eo-KmOd3i7s

She's been a loyal, and worthy and the best 750 I've owned. But I'm blown away that you can buy a 2016 for a little over $50k, now. What a value. And what horrible depreciation?

Those of you who have followed my few posts remember the rats chewing wires that cost the insurance company over $4k to fix the air suspension, that caused spoiler damage and the side fairing damage by the dealership. To my accident back in October with the Yaris that t-boned my front passenger wheel that looked as if nothing happened but caused over $16k in suspension damage.

But overall, the car had ZERO problems. And I had a great ownership experience. The only problem I had was a ticking sound that came from the front wheels that was fixed later on that was found on many 7's, and had a recall. For a car with so much tech, I was shocked with nothing going wrong with it over the past 3 years.

Who knows, maybe all the issues will start for the poor fella who buys it now.

Farewell...

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Since I also bought an i3 over Tesla (and have done it three times, on my 3rd i3 now) I will also chime in: the answer is "better car". And by better I define as better mechanical design, better materials, better ideas behind the design, has range extender (life saver essentially), it isa more efficient car, lower price new or used. Those are objective things. Subjective: drives and handles better than Tesla, more comfortable (actually more comfortable than the 7 series in the city), I prefer the look of the i3 even if I'm a minority.
All my friends are buying Teslas, so I get to drive the S and M3 a lot. Comparing to them back to back kept me on the i3 so far.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What made you go i3 over Model 3 or S?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Model 3 you have to buy and can't lease so it's completely impractical at $60k with no discounts and $700 a month payment with $35k downpayment.

Model S, leases for the 75D start at about $1,100 a month. Why would I drive that when I can be back in my beautiful LUXURY 750 xDrive for the same payment and the interior is to die for?

The Model S and Model 3 both have unattractive interiors. Poor quality, and compared to the i3s which is crafted beautifully make the decision very easy. Not to mention getting $12k off sticker and having a $300 a month car payment.

Tesla's are a hype. It makes ZERO sense how people are driving them to save money on gas. Makes ZERO sense. The only reason you'd be driving a Tesla is for the autopilot and some of the technology that isn't completely available on most cars on the road, right now.

Look up on YouTube i3s vs Tesla comparisons and you'll see tons of videos of how the i3s is ranked higher in interior and design. The one shortfall is the range, and if you do an apples to apples comparison, the size of the i3 battery, if it was matched to meet the Telsas would actually produce over 400 miles range. So it's actually a better battery than what the Tesla offers. Smaller battery with about 120 miles range.

Hope that explains why I went i3 over Tesla. Also, I'm a BMW loyal customer. Until some other car manufacturer can prove that they can make a more superior vehicle for a better price, I'm sticking with the Bavarians. :thumbup:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
since i also bought an i3 over tesla (and have done it three times, on my 3rd i3 now) i will also chime in: The answer is "better car". And by better i define as better mechanical design, better materials, better ideas behind the design, has range extender (life saver essentially), it isa more efficient car, lower price new or used. Those are objective things. Subjective: Drives and handles better than tesla, more comfortable (actually more comfortable than the 7 series in the city), i prefer the look of the i3 even if i'm a minority.
All my friends are buying teslas, so i get to drive the s and m3 a lot. Comparing to them back to back kept me on the i3 so far.
+1 ^

1 - 5 of 5 Posts