BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bavarian Garage
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed a bulge on the interior of my passenger rear tire on my Z4. Same set-up as my E92 except they're non-RFTs. 225-40-18 (R) and 255-35-18 (F). If I order a new rear tire from Tire Rack and specify the size, will the one I receive be the right width? I'm assuming the tires are 8.5 on the rear and 8 on the front. Do I have to specify the width or will the size denote the right width? Maybe I'll just swap the RFTs from the E92 to the Z and get non RFTs for the E as it's my daily driver. Either way, I've got the same issue.

Thanks

·
E92 Fanatic
124 Posts
Noticed a bulge on the interior of my passenger rear tire on my Z4. Same set-up as my E92 except they're non-RFTs. 225-40-18 (R) and 255-35-18 (F). If I order a new rear tire from Tire Rack and specify the size, will the one I receive be the right width? I'm assuming the tires are 8.5 on the rear and 8 on the front. Do I have to specify the width or will the size denote the right width? Maybe I'll just swap the RFTs from the E92 to the Z and get non RFTs for the E as it's my daily driver. Either way, I've got the same issue.

Thanks
You got your tire backwards, it should be
Front = 225/40/18
Rear = 255/35/18

Your rear wheels are wider than the front (225) and therefore need a wider tire (255)

·
Bavarian Garage
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you're right TL, got it reversed. So, do you know the answer to the question? Will ordering a replacement tire come in the correct width?

·
Flying monkey herder
8,215 Posts
you're right TL, got it reversed. So, do you know the answer to the question? Will ordering a replacement tire come in the correct width?
the tire size denotes the width.

255= tire width, in mm
35= aspect ratio, tire width to sidewall height, percentage
18= rim size, in inches

·
E92 Fanatic
124 Posts
yep, as long as you tell them which tire you're replacing, the front or rear

·
Drive it like u stole it!
804 Posts
Dont drive the car until you have it replaced. You can have a blowout very easily and lose control of the car.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

Thanks
How old are the tires? Maybe you can get it replaced under the manufacturer's warrantee.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
What about the tread depth difference on the axle? If one is 50% worn, will it make a difference to have the other 2/8's inch higher?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.