BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to remove my front bumper plate since we don't need it in our state. Has anyone tried patching the holes with bumper plugs. I am ready to order but came across this on their website.

2013 and newer: some BMW models are appearing with a metal reinforcement brace directly behind the bumper cover. Please verify that the depth of the hole for the plug is at least 3/4" before ordering.

Are these ok to order for X5's F15?
Thanks

https://www.bumperplugs.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=1_11_115&product_id=73

Attachments

·
Automotive Addict
1,145 Posts
depending on your body color you could get away with a spot spray however if you have anything other than Alpine White or Jet Black it isn't going to work without being extremely noticeable that you patched the bumper... you would need approximately 15"-20" of blending space... at that point you might as well just spray the entire bumper for consistency.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
If the holes are real small then some filler and touch up paint might work.
But yeah please no nipples! :D
(Best is paint the entire bumper and side markers like what iconoclast first said.)

·
Registered
683 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am trying to remove my front bumper plate since we don't need it in our state. Has anyone tried patching the holes with bumper plugs. I am ready to order but came across this on their website.

2013 and newer: some BMW models are appearing with a metal reinforcement brace directly behind the bumper cover. Please verify that the depth of the hole for the plug is at least 3/4" before ordering.

Are these ok to order for X5's F15?
Thanks

https://www.bumperplugs.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=1_11_115&product_id=73
I used them on a Mercedes a couple years ago and I was satisfied. Would rather had no holes, but this proved to be good solution.

·
Registered
400 Posts
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1476928005.250695.jpg
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1476928125.898045.jpg

They fit without any problems on my 2016. The pictures are of the bumper plugs after my clear bra was installed.

·
Automotive Addict
1,145 Posts
just a thought and probably a more costly option but how about drilling the holes out to be larger and installing two body color PDC sensors?
it would probably blend in better, flush with bumper and would look more like parking aids than two bumps sticking out of a bumper.
just a thought but again i would say go clean and just redo the bumper if it bothers you.

@al_macaroni Only using your image for example because it was the first one available. the comments above are not directed towards you.

·
Registered
400 Posts
No worries.

Having no holes in my front bumper would be my first choice. But, since that did not work out, I had to choose between keeping the front plate, getting body work done on a new car, or give the bumper plugs a try.

I provided the pictures to help others in their decision making.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts