BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently rear-ended and had taken the car to the local BMW collision center. There is hardly any outer or inner damage to the bumper or the structure save for a half inch hair line crack and a small dent which were hard to notice. But, apperently, according to the service center, the clips that hold the bumper to the main body are poorly designed and almost always break when tearing out after a collision. Just that thing happened when they were taking out the bumper to inspect inside. Also, it appears there is no way to repair the clips and the only option is to replace the bumper. Which is what the service center is doing.

I was told by the sevice center that the OEM bumpers don't come painted (wherever they come from) and that they are painted locally. Is that the experience with other members too? Turpiwa, did you have the same experience recently with your repairs? Is the painting process the same quality as the factory?

Thanks!

·
Registered
171 Posts
That is true for most cars (I hesitate to say all because there's always an exception to the rule). Even the bumpers that reach the body shop already painted are usually not painted at the factory, but at a third party location.
While you may not be able to tell a difference between a bumper that was painted by a competent shop and the original paint, the former will always be inferior. No shop can reproduce the factory procedures of applying and curing paint. One consequence is that the new paint will be (slightly) more prone to cracking from impact.
Having said that, none of this is worth losing sleep over. At least you won't have any overspray/blending issues to deal with.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dm5x, thanks for your detailed opinion. I agree with you it's nothing to loose sleep over; I was interested in knowing more from a self-education perspective. Cheers!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quick update - I got my car back from the service center. For the most part it looks very good, though as is mentioned here it is not the same as factory. I noticed some small imperfections of the new paint, which the service advisor has agreed to have them burred out.

While I am impressed with BMW's build quaility (the rear impact didn't deform the original bumper) I am a little surprised that the clips - that attach the bumper to the main body - are designed so poorly that they break just trying to open the bumper!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts