BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My '97 BMW 528i, e39 recently got some strange problem... turn signals not functioning, headlight automatically on when key is in engine run position and when key-in the alarm, no light flashes. So I decided to open my LCM up and found out that there's a bunch of burned resistors on the circuit board.

If someone could help me by letting me knoe the value of these resistor the would be great; at this time I just don't like the sound of +$800 quote from my dealership with a few weeks waiting because it needs to be ship directly from Germany.

Also, I understand that if I replaced it with a used LCM the 'orange' light will be on. My question for this is... is the orange light stays on permanetely or will it goes away once I either got a new one to replace & recode or somehow got this one fixed.

Your jelp is greatly apreciates and thanks in advanced to all reply.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Replacing the LKM is not a hard thing to do. It must be recoded according to your car. A used LKM will cost about, 350.00 and recoded another 50-75.
I have an extra LKM for your model. It is good just need to be recoded once installed. If you are interested, 200.00 + 25.00 to ship insured and it is yours!!!!
LKMs fail and can be replaced without headache......
PM...me, let's deal!!!

·
Registered
15,437 Posts
Take pictures on the other side of your circuit board and post them.

I suspect you have the usual burned chips "BTS426L1" (search the forum for BTS426L1).
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209896&highlight=BTS426L1+cn90

These chips can be bought for $18/pair, simple repair.
I am out of the chips for the time being but post a message here, maybe someone owning these chips can send them to you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replacing the LKM is not a hard thing to do. It must be recoded according to your car. A used LKM will cost about, 350.00 and recoded another 50-75.
I have an extra LKM for your model. It is good just need to be recoded once installed. If you are interested, 200.00 + 25.00 to ship insured and it is yours!!!!
LKMs fail and can be replaced without headache......
PM...me, let's deal!!!
From what I understand base on searching for similar problem, a used LCM cannot be recoded.

Take pictures on the other side of your circuit board and post them.

I suspect you have the usual burned chips "BTS426L1" (search the forum for BTS426L1).
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209896&highlight=BTS426L1+cn90

These chips can be bought for $18/pair, simple repair.
I am out of the chips for the time being but post a message here, maybe someone owning these chips can send them to you.
I did this sometimes in May '97 and everything was great until last week when I notice my turn signals not working, no hi-beam, no flasher and my headlight automatically on when the key is in the run position. So I open the LCM back-up and found these burned resistors; there is no changes to my lighting since the chips replacement. I guess the LCM falls into its safe-mode it they burned out.

If someone replacing their chips please notice the resistor's value and let me know.
Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Burned resistors in LCM --> Need resistor value!

Hello,
My '97 BMW 528i, e39 recently got some strange problem... turn signals not functioning, headlight automatically on when key is in engine run position and when key-in the alarm, no light flashes. So I decided to open my LCM up and found out that there's a bunch of burned resistors on the circuit board.

If someone could help me by letting me know the value of these resistor the would be great; at this time I just don't like the sound of +$800 quote from my dealership with a few weeks waiting because it needs to be ship directly from Germany.

Also, I understand that if I replaced it with a used LCM the 'orange' light will be on. My question for this is... is the orange light stays on permanently or will it goes away once I either got a new one to replace & recode or somehow got this one fixed.

Your help is greatly appreciates and thanks in advanced to all reply.

Just realize that there's a bunch of mis-spelled words in my original post... I need to learn how to spell!

·
Registered
94 Posts
A used LCM/LKM can be recoded as long as your Indtrument cluster is intact and original. It receives information from the instrument cluster as the instrument cluster is a redundant system. The Instrument cluster can not be re coded. Been there ... done all of this.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A used LCM/LKM can be recoded as long as your Indtrument cluster is intact and original. It receives information from the instrument cluster as the instrument cluster is a redundant system. The Instrument cluster can not be re coded. Been there ... done all of this.....
Twin Que,
Thanks for your response; where did you have the used LCM recoded, the dealership or indy? Hope to get your recommendation for recoding service.
Thanks!
Van

1 - 7 of 7 Posts